Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net> on 2006/09/22 16:05:19 UTC

[Qpid] in the subject line?

Hi!

This mailing list does not have something like [Qpid] on the subject
line of messages, as most Apache lists have.

Is that by design?

Regards,
Torsten

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 9/22/06, Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net> wrote:
> This mailing list does not have something like [Qpid] on the subject
> line of messages, as most Apache lists have.

I think only a very few Apache lists add that tag to the subject
lines.  I just checked about 10 of the lists I'm subscribed to and
couldn't find a single one.

> Is that by design?

It's the default setup that the infrastructure folks gave us.

One reason against doing this is that Apache lists often use a tag
like [VOTE] or [PROPOSAL] or even [VOTE][RESULTS] to call attention to
a particular type of subject.  This obviously gets a little more
cluttered with a mailing list tag in every subject.

Cliff

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
> I see quite a lot projects don't do this so I filter on the reply-to.

That works if you want to use inbox rules thich will file stuff for you. I have tried that, but the problem is, I don't look into that folders than and miss a lot. Well, this is personal preferences.

What's even worse: Some projects don't change the reply-to header to point to the list, which is VERY annoying as you hit "reply" and you think you replied to the list, but you replied to the individual sender. Ok, Apache gets this right, fortunately.

> Can the list server add this for us?

Yes, definitely!

The Apache stanadard would be

[Qpid-dev] and [Qpid-commits], probably later [Qpid-user] or [Qpid-users].

Regards,
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:18:26 -0400
Von: Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>
An: qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, gmail is spoiling us.

John

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Because I personally (like many other people I know) am subscribed to
> a lot of mailing lists and I get a lot of mails. The [Qpid] or
> [Cocoon-user] or whatever lets me immediately recognize that this mail
> belongs to that subject, especially if people use quite generic
> subject lines such as "Getting a website" or "Compilation problem".
>
> It has been good practice in other Apache projects and in lots of
> other projects as well. And IMO it does not hurt.
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> Carl Trieloff schrieb:
>>
>> wondering - why should we?
>>
>> Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> This mailing list does not have something like [Qpid] on the subject
>>> line of messages, as most Apache lists have.
>>>
>>> Is that by design?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Torsten

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ma...@jpmorgan.com>.
It also helps if you have a noddy mail client that can only do simple
filtering (not using the message headers).

I like to have my list email put in to a folder so it doesn't confuse me
with the mail that is direct to me.

just my 2c worth.
--
Martin

|         |           Carl Trieloff    |
|         |           <cctrieloff@redha|
|         |           t.com>           |
|         |           2006-09-22 15:34 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?                                                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

wondering - why should we?

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This mailing list does not have something like [Qpid] on the subject
> line of messages, as most Apache lists have.
>
> Is that by design?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
wondering - why should we?

Re: [Qpid] in the subject line?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I prefer it without the [Qpid] subject header.  I already sort my mail
into folders using the reply-to header.  So adding that to the subject
is redundant for me and makes my eyes have to work harder when
scanning threads.

On 9/22/06, Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This mailing list does not have something like [Qpid] on the subject
> line of messages, as most Apache lists have.
>
> Is that by design?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten

Hiram