Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/12 19:42:20 UTC

New committer work flow: check for ICLA already on file

Hi,

I'd like to discuss the process for accepting new committers into projects. Our documentation is often used as a model for projects to use, and I believe it is not optimal.

https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

The immediate concern is that Secretary often receives duplicate ICLAs because the mail inviting them to become a committer tells them to submit an ICLA regardless of whether they have already submitted one.

So I'd like to change the recommended process so that the PMC first checks to see if the candidate is already either a committer or has an ICLA on file. This should significantly improve the process by eliminating the back and forth when a sufficient ICLA is already on file and Secretary tells the candidate to deal with the PMC to get the account.

I have another suggestion for a process improvement that I will open a new thread to discuss.

Regards,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org