Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Toni Lamar <to...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/10 21:03:06 UTC

JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Would you please release JAMES 3.0 milestone 1 or alpha from the trunk?

There are so many cool features in there compared to 2.3.x.
Except the IMAP support(cause I'm not using it yet in production) the rest
looks very solid and stable (I'm using it on several machines since almost a
week without problems so far).

Most users won't build JAMES and the the "nightly build" label is not very
marketing friendly :).

I think that if you would release a "Milestone 1" (and mention it on the
main page) many more users would try it and give you detailed feedback.
Since IMAP is activated by default, this would be a very good news on Java
sites and many would like to try if you would annouce it (even so in
"experimental" state because many aren't even aware that IMAP works just by
starting JAMES).

Thanks,

Tony.

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by norman <no...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 12.07.2007, 17:33 +0200 schrieb Bernd Fondermann:
> Toni Lamar wrote:
> >
> > Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
> >> I'm really happy to know that you use current trunk. This is one more
> >> proof that the code there is usable not only by me and Norman ;-).
> >>
> > I could ask around but I think many more would try it if it would have a M1
> > label on it, despite the fact
> > that it would be pretty similar to the nightly build.
> >

> > Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
> >> Unfortunately there hasn't been consensus on branching to start a
> >> release process from the trunk (in december) and the code didn't change
> >> to much in the mean time, so I don't think we can expect something
> >> different now.
> >>
> > But why a branch? Woudn't a tag be enough? I mean in the case of a Milestone
> > 1.
> > This would be just a little more than the nightly build, than later more one
> > tag for M2, an so on.
>
> +1 for preparing to release an "early preview" or "milestone" from trunk
> (not from branch).
>
>    Bernd

+1 Same here..

Sorry but im so busy at the moment that I will not be able to spend any
time on this :-(

bye
Norman

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Kevin Jackson ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Has any progress been made on fixing the issues regarding the java6
> ssl incompatibility for this release?
>
> Kev

Unfortunately no. I tried upgrading cornerston/excalibur libraries but I
think they didn't change anything wrt SSL configuration.

I had no time to investigate the issue more in depth, so I don't really
know how difficult can be to create a patch and if we can do this
without removing cornerstone/excalibur at all. In the latter case we'll
have to wait for a technology shift (probably happening in the long
time, with no hurry).

Stefano

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Kevin Jackson ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Has any progress been made on fixing the issues regarding the java6
> ssl incompatibility for this release?
>
> Kev

Hi Kevin,

I upgraded one of my local james to java 6 and SSL seems to be working fine.

What exact problem are you experiencing? Is your problem similar to:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-782

Stefano

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
On 7/12/07, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:

> +1 for preparing to release an "early preview" or "milestone" from trunk
> (not from branch).

+1 as long as we're careful about what it actually means.

(I also use the trunk)

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> > On 7/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> >> I just think that Robert should tell us the better moment wrt him IMAP
> >> work. And maybe we could even release a 3.0M1 without IMAP enabled by
> >> default.
> >
> > the IMAP code used by default has not change. this code base has
> > issues with at least two modern clients but is ok (but limited) for
> > older ones. the experimental rewrite is not used by default.
>
> I admit I had no time to follow all of your patches. I read them one by
> one, but I don't get the whole picture of changes between the
> "monolitic" imapserver module and the new experimental modules.
> The "imapserver" was already experimental and we have no previous
> releases including it, so I think we should try to find an answer to
> your refactoring and keep only one of the 2 imapserver.

the two code bases should be identical in behaviour ATM but i cannot
prove it until i've completed coding a solid IMAP client library :-/

> Can you summarize main differences between imapserver and the new
> experimental*+imap* modules ?

ATM only refactoring

from a design perspective, in the experimental module each command has
been split into encoding, decoding and processing classes with
messages passed between them.

> >> active
> >> (and to

> >> 3.0M1
> >>
> >> Yes, but at Apache releasing means something more than building: we have
> >> to take care of any legal issue with code we release and we have to vote
> >> and agree on the number and the date. I know this seems to be some easy
> >> stuff, but in my experience it isn't.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > i'll see if i can find time to review the code base and improve the build
>
> I locally upgraded cornerstone/avalon/excalibur and the whole dependency
> model for maven2. I didn't commit it yet because I found an issue with
> latest cornerstone release and I'm now waiting a 2.2.2 release from the
> excalibur guys.
>
> Btw this is not a blocking/important issue for a milestone release.

sounds good

> >> users about
> >>
> >> LOL, you are right. Unfortunately I don't have any tool to convince
> >> others that the code in trunk was not so bad and not stable as Noel (or
> >> anyone else) thought.
> >
> > different people have different motivations
>
> I'd add: "sometime the motivation is collecting different motivations", ;-)

hehehe

<snip>

> I didn't get if "you" it's me or Toni.

toni

> If it's me, I'm willing to help (even if I have limited spare time
> currently) only by request: I won't be the releaser, and I won't push
> anything. If someone want me to update the website (e.g: generate 3.0
> pages, add news/downloads for the milestone), to help fixing some bug,
> to explain some feature we introduced and so on he/they will have to ask.

the offer is appreciated

- robert

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Toni Lamar ha scritto:
> > Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
> >> Unfortunately there hasn't been consensus on branching to start a
> >> release process from the trunk (in december) and the code didn't change
> >> to much in the mean time, so I don't think we can expect something
> >> different now.
> >>
> > But why a branch? Woudn't a tag be enough? I mean in the case of a Milestone
> > 1.
> > This would be just a little more than the nightly build, than later more one
> > tag for M2, an so on.
>
> This may be an alternative approach. However I think that branching is
> better any time you want to manage a release. Btw I'm fine with tagging
> and releasing an M1 from current code (we did this for 2.3.0a1, IIRC):

this approach is fine by me for a milestone

> I just think that Robert should tell us the better moment wrt him IMAP
> work. And maybe we could even release a 3.0M1 without IMAP enabled by
> default.

the IMAP code used by default has not change. this code base has
issues with at least two modern clients but is ok (but limited) for
older ones. the experimental rewrite is not used by default.

> > Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, as far as I understand it currently no one of the active
> >> committers is willing to prepare a release from the current code (and to
> >> collect agreements for this).
> >>
> > But isn't the entire process automated?
> > I mean it already runs nightly. It would be only required to stick a 3.0M1
> > label, tag that version and publish on the main site the collected JIRA
> > changes (there's a plug-in that does that automatically).
>
> Yes, but at Apache releasing means something more than building: we have
> to take care of any legal issue with code we release and we have to vote
> and agree on the number and the date. I know this seems to be some easy
> stuff, but in my experience it isn't.

+1

i'll see if i can find time to review the code base and improve the build

> > Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
> >> So I think that if every user using/wanting trunk code to be released
> >> will put a list of new trunk features he is interested in and what
> >> features he is already using (testing) succesfully from trunk this could
> >> help the inactive PMC members to understand the quality and stability
> >> and usability of what we have in trunk.

+1

> > Sorry but shoudn't be this reversed? I.e. developers to convince users about
> > the stability of their project and the importance to use it?
>
> LOL, you are right. Unfortunately I don't have any tool to convince
> others that the code in trunk was not so bad and not stable as Noel (or
> anyone else) thought.

different people have different motivations

> > If "inactive" members are such a bottleneck for the project(considering the
> > overused veto right), why don't they simply quit? Is it so important for
> > them that "membership"?

the apache governance model means that inactive members are only a
problem when a quorum is required. member who don't develop as much
code as they once did are still important for oversight.

problems arise (as at with project) when developers actively disagree
about directions. i hope that these issues will sort themselves out.
new voices and opinions help this process.

> ASF meritocracy: you gain some right, you deserve them forever.
>
> I think this is ok. It is ok that people that dedicated years to some
> project will keep vote rights for the future: as I think that my
> opinions/votes should be taken in considerations also after an year of
> inactivity. We all collect experience on this project: every "expert"
> opinion is important.

+1

<snip>

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Toni Lamar ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
>> Unfortunately there hasn't been consensus on branching to start a
>> release process from the trunk (in december) and the code didn't change
>> to much in the mean time, so I don't think we can expect something
>> different now.
>>
> But why a branch? Woudn't a tag be enough? I mean in the case of a Milestone
> 1.
> This would be just a little more than the nightly build, than later more one
> tag for M2, an so on.

This may be an alternative approach. However I think that branching is
better any time you want to manage a release. Btw I'm fine with tagging
and releasing an M1 from current code (we did this for 2.3.0a1, IIRC): I
just think that Robert should tell us the better moment wrt him IMAP
work. And maybe we could even release a 3.0M1 without IMAP enabled by
default.

> Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
>> Unfortunately, as far as I understand it currently no one of the active
>> committers is willing to prepare a release from the current code (and to
>> collect agreements for this).
>>
> But isn't the entire process automated?
> I mean it already runs nightly. It would be only required to stick a 3.0M1
> label, tag that version and publish on the main site the collected JIRA
> changes (there's a plug-in that does that automatically).

Yes, but at Apache releasing means something more than building: we have
to take care of any legal issue with code we release and we have to vote
and agree on the number and the date. I know this seems to be some easy
stuff, but in my experience it isn't.

> Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:
>> So I think that if every user using/wanting trunk code to be released
>> will put a list of new trunk features he is interested in and what
>> features he is already using (testing) succesfully from trunk this could
>> help the inactive PMC members to understand the quality and stability
>> and usability of what we have in trunk.
>>
> Sorry but shoudn't be this reversed? I.e. developers to convince users about
> the stability of their project and the importance to use it?

LOL, you are right. Unfortunately I don't have any tool to convince
others that the code in trunk was not so bad and not stable as Noel (or
anyone else) thought.

> If "inactive" members are such a bottleneck for the project(considering the
> overused veto right), why don't they simply quit? Is it so important for
> them that "membership"?

ASF meritocracy: you gain some right, you deserve them forever.

I think this is ok. It is ok that people that dedicated years to some
project will keep vote rights for the future: as I think that my
opinions/votes should be taken in considerations also after an year of
inactivity. We all collect experience on this project: every "expert"
opinion is important.

The problem in JAMES has been that we didn't/don't understand what each
one want: someone thinks I didn't compromise enough and I didn't listen
to other opinions, strictly pushing only my goals. I never
accepted/liked to be guilty for this, so I can simply tell I don't think
I am/was the problem but I cannot ignore them as there are rules (and
I'm happy there are rules).

I think the only solution will come from the community: your message is
an help. Other users/developers could try helping, too.

What there is in trunk is really not important compared to the
community: we need again an active/live community, then we can discuss
about trunk and how to release.

I really can't (and don't want to) push anything anymore.

> Thanks,
>
> Toni.

Thank you, and sorry if this doesn't help with the release you asked for.

Stefano

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Toni Lamar <to...@yahoo.com>.

Stefano Bagnara-2 wrote:

> In the mean time I also stopped trying to include my patches in current
> trunk as my local branch diverged too much from the current code and
> being not able to smoothly push a new branch and a shared goal I had to
> take this sad decision.

Please reconsider your decision. Your contributions make the most of the new
3.0,
and also from the SVN statistic the few commiters that really do something
for the project instead
of voting everything with -1.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> > On 7/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> In the mean time I also stopped trying to include my patches in current
> >> trunk as my local branch diverged too much from the current code and
> >> being not able to smoothly push a new branch and a shared goal I had to
> >> take this sad decision.
> >
> > i know that i've been guilty of doing something similar but maybe it
> > would make sense to at least keep the branch in the repository?
> >
> > - robert
>
> WARN: veterans of the list may skip this, everything has already been
> told previously.

thanks for repeating them for me

<snip>

> Thank you for the question, and I hope we will be able to work together
> on some concrete piece of code, sooner or later!

+1

- robert

Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> On 7/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> In the mean time I also stopped trying to include my patches in current
>> trunk as my local branch diverged too much from the current code and
>> being not able to smoothly push a new branch and a shared goal I had to
>> take this sad decision.
>
> i know that i've been guilty of doing something similar but maybe it
> would make sense to at least keep the branch in the repository?
>
> - robert

WARN: veterans of the list may skip this, everything has already been
told previously.

Some fact:

1) To keep my local branch open source/ASF ready (write on my own every
piece of code and make sure of any legal requirement, do not use
GPL/LGPL code, add english javadocs, etc) is not for free.

2) The advantage of using an official released product instead of a
locally patched one is higher than the cost described at #1.

3) Features written by others come for free.

4) I enjoy collaboration and team-working WHEN I see the results.

#1 needs a return in #2, #3 and #4 or we have a no go.

I'm here since 2 years and I dedicated very much to #1 and got back
almost nothing from #2 (I currently have some official 2.3.1 servers in
production, while 2 years ago I was on local patched releases, but I
still have a very diverging branch for some server), almost nothing from
#3 and a partial results on #4 (mainly on jspf and some server component).

I spent more than 50% of my time discussing about things that produced
nothing good: too much resources wasted.

An active community where people help each other instead of simply
criticize and some interesting *code* for my use cases (I don't need
IMAP, so from here JAMES Server is stalled since 8 months) are 2 of the
missing requirements for me to start again #1.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.