Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Juergen Damke <DA...@de.ibm.com> on 2001/08/03 17:40:04 UTC

call a JVM using different locales in one Build

I've problems using several locals in one build.
I create a master build.xml from which I call another xml file
with different locale definitions.

        <ant antfile="${Wps.bld.dir}/build/SearchIndex.xml"
                 dir="${Wps.doc.dir}/en/InfoCenter"
                 target="BuildIndex">
            <property name="InfoCenter.dir" value="
${Wps.doc.dir}/en/InfoCenter" />
            <property name="Search.locale"  value="en_US"/>
        </ant>
        <ant antfile="${Wps.bld.dir}/build/SearchIndex.xml"
                 dir="${Wps.doc.dir}/zh/InfoCenter"
                 target="BuildIndex">
            <property name="InfoCenter.dir" value="
${Wps.doc.dir}/zh/InfoCenter" />
            <property name="Search.locale"  value="zh_CN"/>
        </ant>

SearchIndex.xml contains the java call:

                 <java classname="com.sun.java.help.search.Indexer"
                   fork="yes">
               <arg line="-locale ${Search.locale}"/>
               <arg value="-verbose"/>
               <arg line="-logfile ${Search.log}"/>
          <classpath>
                <pathelement location="${InfoCenter.dir}/"/>
                <pathelement path="${Wps.srclib.dir}/jhall.jar"/>
          </classpath>
          <sysproperty key="LANG"   value="${Search.locale}"/>
             <sysproperty key="LC_ALL" value="${Search.locale}"/>
     </java>

Problem is, that  I do not know with which locale the JVM ist really
called. Even the -verbose Ant
parameter does not show that in the log.

>From the results the created chinese SearchIndex does not work and only
shows garbage
on an chinese system.

BTW: The build Machine is AIX 4.33 with all locales installed.

Ideas ?

Jürgen Damke
IBM EL ADS PvC Solutions 2, Dept 6547

Re: call a JVM using different locales in one Build

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Juergen Damke <DA...@de.ibm.com> wrote:

>           <sysproperty key="LANG"   value="${Search.locale}"/>
>           <sysproperty key="LC_ALL" value="${Search.locale}"/>

This will set Java properties in the form -DLANG=${Search.locale}
which will probably not be what you want, you are looking for
environment variables.

Unfortunately <java> doesn't support setting environment variables,
even if invoked in forked mode, you'll have to fall back to the <exec>
task.

> Problem is, that I do not know with which locale the JVM ist really
> called. Even the -verbose Ant parameter does not show that in the
> log.

You should try -debug and look at some properties.  In my environment
I get

Setting project property: user.timezone -> Europe/Berlin
Setting project property: user.language -> de
Setting project property: user.region -> DE

(you can as well <echo> them to avoid all the other stuff -debug
emits).

Stefan