Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by teacup <m_...@yahoo.com> on 2008/12/16 14:21:52 UTC

Managed repositories and Maven local repository

Hello, all:

I have been using Arhiva happily for over a year.  I have Archiva and
Contiuum both running on the same server.  But while I configured an
internal repo (under Tomcat installation -
/opt/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/data/respositories/internal) and a snapshots
directory (also under Tomcat installation -
/opt/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/data/repositories/snapshots), Continuum has its
own default local repository (/home/specialuser/.m2/repository.

Note that the user 'specialuser' owns Tomcat, Archiva, and Continuum
installations.  Anyway, so my problem is that Archiva downloads and
maintains same artifacts under its own repos (under Tomcat - see above) that
Continuum maintains under its default local repository (see above) - and
this means unnecessary duplication to me.  I mean all those huge artifact
jars are present in two places on my server.

Contiuum does not allow me (as an admin user) to change the default repo,
but Archiva does allow me to specify managed repos.  Can I update Archiva's
existing managed repos (both internal and snapshots) to point to
/home/specialuser/.m2/repository?  Because Maven does not allow any
directory names under /home/user/.m2/repository, I cannot create 'internal'
and 'snapshots' directories there and so I will have to specify the same
Maven directory for 'internal' and 'snapshots' on Archiva's Admin GUI for
managed repos.  Will that work?

Now another issue: even if I get the above setup working (and I guess it
would work just fine), now both Archiva and Continuum would be managing the
same repo (purging it, etc).  Will that be a problem?

In other words how do I eliminate the whole duplication issue?  Or is it
normal to have duplicate copies of artifacts on the same server, one each
for Archiva and Continuum?  Thanks.

Re: Managed repositories and Maven local repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I believe Archiva will handle a local repository directly since it
uses the same format for tracking remote metadata file downloads,
which is the main difference. If you have artifacts in the local
repository that were generated with 'mvn install' you may get into
trouble - removing versions that are -SNAPSHOT (not timestamped) and
their associated metadata files (which will contain
<useLocalCopy>true</>) will cover these.

- Brett

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Barrow <ja...@dariel.co.za>.
Quoting Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:

> In general you can't interchange local and remote repos because the
> metadata is different.  However Archiva is supposed to repair broken
> metadata, so you can try making a copy of your local repo and pointing
> Archiva at it as a managed repo.

Thanks for the reply Wendy, I did try that, but it unfortunately
doesn't work. Due to bandwidth constraints, I really wouldn't want to
re-download everything from the central repo, also, because there's so
many artifacts, manually uploading everything to Archiva would take so
long.

Hopefully they add this functionality.

Cheers,

James

Re: Managed repositories and Maven local repository

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:08 AM, jamiebarrow <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if Continuum manages its own repository, or just uses the
> default Maven local repository (~/.m2/repository). I think this may be the
> case.
>
> Did you manage to find a way of using the default Maven local maven
> repository with Archiva?

Archiva is meant to manage *remote* repositories, not local ones.

Posted by teacup <th...@yahoo.com>.
No, I did not find any way of using the default Maven local repository
through Archiva.  I am still bothered about having two copies of same huge
jars in different directories on my server.  If I find any solution to this
issue on Maven forum, I will post it here.

Posted by jamiebarrow <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by teacup <m_...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Brett.  I finally decided not to mix up Archiva setup with
Continuum's.  As you suggested, I will keep purging the stuff in both
manually.  I cannot wait to see a better support for this in Maven.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.