Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by ziohausam <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/14 12:03:51 UTC

How to distinguish performance drawback source

Hello All,

I have a Question.

I use Jmeter in my Performance test execution.

Actually i always face drawback when number of users increases and of course
this is normal.

what is not normal is that while i check the performance live with the test
execution running, i open a browser session for navigating the web
application and i can't find any drawbacks. also i try this from different
PCs, and no noticeable drawbacks.

For example:
in the testing tool, some request takes 2 seconds with 1 user. and 90
seconds with 75 users running with ramp-up period 40 seconds. that's fine
that's a noticeable drawback. but actually when i use the same PC or any
different PC to call this request though the browser while it is processed
by the test tool, i find no noticeable drawbacks.

How can i explain this? how can i understand this, and also how can i
distinguish performance drawback source (server, application, client machine
hardware or bandwidth, etc)

I had sent this post before in QA forums and had really helpful ideas to
explain the reason, but they still do not represent the real cause as i have
checked all suggestions and found every thing is ok. i hope i can find more
ideas and explanations here too
am
Note: as i am only a beginner  using JMETER. most possibly is that i am
missing something configuring my tool or test execution process.

Regards,
Hosam

Re: How to distinguish performance drawback source

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/07/2009, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>  possible problems that i can think of are
>  a. You have loaded the Jmeter client with more load than it can handle (as a
>  rule of thumb i wouldn't run more than 20-25 threads from a single client

That very much depends on the test plan (and the host, of course). It
should be possible to run many more threads for many test plans, say
200-300.

One way to check if JMeter is the limiting factor is to compare the
result of running a single instance of JMeter against two instances,
each with half the number of threads.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
There is a HTTP Cache Manager in JMeter but Ive never tried it.

the first thing is , is this your problem though ?
Enable View results tree and see the requests and check what is taking time
in jmeter / what response times you are getting v/s what you see on the
browser (say using firefox and Tamper data/yslow etc)
Also monitor your CPU and memory to see whether 25 is still too much load
per client (how much memory is given to Jmeter as Xmx?)
 (in my case I get 20 threads for 2.4Ghz 2GB - 512MB Xmx , but then I have
vista)
regards
deepak

Posted by ziohausam <zi...@gmail.com>.