Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Dan <or...@bitwisesystems.com> on 1999/07/06 00:40:01 UTC

Re: mod_auth-any/4700: Basic Authentication - Correct Username/Password pairs never accepted

The following reply was made to PR mod_auth-any/4700; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dan <or...@bitwisesystems.com>
To: coar@apache.org
Cc: Apache DB <ap...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: mod_auth-any/4700: Basic Authentication - Correct Username/Password
 pairs never accepted
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:33:10 -0500

 coar@apache.org wrote:

 > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
 > [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
 > [subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
 > [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
 > ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
 > [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
 > ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
 > [the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
 > [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
 > [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]
 >
 > Synopsis: Basic Authentication - Correct Username/Password pairs never accepted
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
 > State-Changed-By: coar
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Jul  5 15:06:47 PDT 1999
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >
 > You're probably not getting any error messages because
 > you have your LogLevel set to critical -- which means
 > only critical OR WORSE errors will be logged.  Try setting
 > it to 'notice' to see if the authentication process
 > shows anything meaningful.  Also, try spelling out
 > the complete path in your AuthUserFile and AuthGroupFile
 > directives, rather than using relative paths.  Let
 > us know the results.

 That did it.  The log pointed out that my permissions on my group and
 password files were not correct.  The relative paths to the conf/passwd
 and conf/group files work perfectly.

 95% of your work must be configuration related.  I try not to be that
 majority.

 Amazing response time, thanks.

 Dan