Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/02 07:46:37 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

The vote period for releasing Apache OpenOffice (incubator) RC1  has
concluded.

The ballot passed.

VOTE TALLY

+1:

IPMC members:

+1 Marvin Humphrey
+1 Dave Fisher
+1 Jim Jagielski

For reference see also the vote thread on ooo-dev

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.9000707%40googlemail.com%3E

Thank you for your support

Juergen

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > The vote period for releasing Apache OpenOffice (incubator) RC1  has
> > concluded.
> >
> > The ballot passed.
> >
> > VOTE TALLY
> >
> > +1:
> >
> > IPMC members:
> >
> > +1 Marvin Humphrey
> > +1 Dave Fisher
> > +1 Jim Jagielski
> >
> > For reference see also the vote thread on ooo-dev
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.9000707%40googlemail.com%3E
> >

> > Thank you for your support
> >

> Yeah!  We have an AOO 3.4 Release.
>
> Many, many people on this project have put a lot of work into this
> release, and they all are owed a round of thanks, but I'd like to make
> special note of the contribution that Juergen has made as Release
> Manager for our first Apache release.

+1(!)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
While we're all thrilled about this, I have to ask us to keep this
information to ourselves until we formally announce next week. To
prematurely announce this publicy will be unhelpful to our overall goals of
managing the user experience for downloading and equally important the
extent to which we can look forward to positive news coverage.

That said, I am very excited and thrilled that we have achieved this
milestone. Fanstastic!

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/03/2012 01:27 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Here is the correct link
>
> http://people.apache.org/~af/poodle1024.jpg

nice to see he gets out to have some fun every once in a while! :)

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Here is the correct link

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 03.05.2012 10:24, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 02.05.2012 19:27, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>>> +1 (it is not common)
>>
>> and it was a little bit surprising ;-) But i think we have listened and
>> have incorporate feedback early and careful. And we will continue to
>> improve our work here as a healthy project and a vibrant community.
>>
>> My "special" role as a release manger was only a tiny piece (and nothing
>> special) of the overall work we as a *community* have achieved with this
>> first release. I could list many names and I am sure I would forget
>> some. So I would like to say thank you to all who helped in the last
>> month to bring our first release on the road.
>>
>> I will list only some key areas where we have achieved a lot:
>> - migration of the website, the wiki, the user forum, the extensions and
>> template repository, bugzilla
>> - setting up new internal wiki at Apache, new pootle server, new project
>> web page
>> - IP cleanup of the code
>> - setting up build bots
>> - preparing regular dev snapshots and final RC
>> - great QA work
>> - archiving older releases and not yet integrated cws
>> - establishing a powerful mirror network with new partners
>> - work on documentation to reflect the new name and latest changes
>> - ...
>>
>> The release is only the successful crowning end of a huge huge effort
>> and a lot of work to migrate everything from Oracle infra-structure to
>> Apache and partners.
>>
>> We all know that it was not only the source code that was migrated/moved
>> but much more and especially the way how we improved over time our
>> collaboration on different tasks makes me very proud and I am really
>> looking forward to continue this work with all of you.
>>
>> We have strong characters in the project with different communication
>> styles but I think we should always look twice what individuals are
>> really doing here in the project and for the project before we
>> adjudicate on somebody.
>>
>> And about statements like "the major part of the community have moved
>> to..." can I only laugh out loud. I felt myself always as part of the
>> OOo community and I never have moved to somewhere else ;-) (sorry I
>> couldn't resist)
>>
>> Thanks to all of you
>
> I can not say that any better, so many thanks to everybody involved for coding,
> testing, translating, documenting or giving general advice.
>
> Especially I would like to thank Jürgen for his hard work to coordinate all and
> everything.
> I would like to share a picture of him in his role as master of the "poodle"
> server (~123kb):
>
> http://http://people.apache.org/~af/poodle1024.jpg

It was an honour to see how this picture was taken.
It is an honour to be part of this great open-source community.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 02.05.2012 19:27, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 5/2/12 6:04 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 2 May 2012 16:51, Pedro Giffuni<pf...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I have no idea if it's common for Podlings to have a successful
>>> vote in their first attempt but I have to say this result highlights
>>> the determination and impecable work done by the group.
>>
>> +1 (it is not common)
>
> and it was a little bit surprising ;-) But i think we have listened and
> have incorporate feedback early and careful. And we will continue to
> improve our work here as a healthy project and a vibrant community.
>
> My "special" role as a release manger was only a tiny piece (and nothing
> special) of the overall work we as a *community* have achieved with this
> first release. I could list many names and I am sure I would forget
> some. So I would like to say thank you to all who helped in the last
> month to bring our first release on the road.
>
> I will list only some key areas where we have achieved a lot:
> - migration of the website, the wiki, the user forum, the extensions and
> template repository, bugzilla
> - setting up new internal wiki at Apache, new pootle server, new project
> web page
> - IP cleanup of the code
> - setting up build bots
> - preparing regular dev snapshots and final RC
> - great QA work
> - archiving older releases and not yet integrated cws
> - establishing a powerful mirror network with new partners
> - work on documentation to reflect the new name and latest changes
> - ...
>
> The release is only the successful crowning end of a huge huge effort
> and a lot of work to migrate everything from Oracle infra-structure to
> Apache and partners.
>
> We all know that it was not only the source code that was migrated/moved
> but much more and especially the way how we improved over time our
> collaboration on different tasks makes me very proud and I am really
> looking forward to continue this work with all of you.
>
> We have strong characters in the project with different communication
> styles but I think we should always look twice what individuals are
> really doing here in the project and for the project before we
> adjudicate on somebody.
>
> And about statements like "the major part of the community have moved
> to..." can I only laugh out loud. I felt myself always as part of the
> OOo community and I never have moved to somewhere else ;-) (sorry I
> couldn't resist)
>
> Thanks to all of you

I can not say that any better, so many thanks to everybody involved for
coding, testing, translating, documenting or giving general advice.

Especially I would like to thank Jürgen for his hard work to coordinate
all and everything.
I would like to share a picture of him in his role as master of the
"poodle" server (~123kb):

     http://http://people.apache.org/~af/poodle1024.jpg

Best regards,
Andre

RE: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Yes, I think the entire effort here is extraordinary in the light of the struggles and stumbling-around that many podlings go through.

My congratulations as well.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/05/03 00:04, Ross Gardler said:
> On 2 May 2012 16:51, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I have no idea if it's common for Podlings to have a successful
>> vote in their first attempt but I have to say this result highlights
>> the determination and impecable work done by the group.

+1.  And thanks to Jürgen and everyone for our hard work.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
On 05/02/2012 01:27 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 5/2/12 6:04 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 2 May 2012 16:51, Pedro Giffuni<pf...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I have no idea if it's common for Podlings to have a successful
>>> vote in their first attempt but I have to say this result highlights
>>> the determination and impecable work done by the group.
>>
>> +1 (it is not common)
>
> and it was a little bit surprising ;-) But i think we have listened and
> have incorporate feedback early and careful. And we will continue to
> improve our work here as a healthy project and a vibrant community.
>
> My "special" role as a release manger was only a tiny piece (and nothing
> special) of the overall work we as a *community* have achieved with this
> first release. I could list many names and I am sure I would forget
> some. So I would like to say thank you to all who helped in the last
> month to bring our first release on the road.
>
> I will list only some key areas where we have achieved a lot:
> - migration of the website, the wiki, the user forum, the extensions and
> template repository, bugzilla
> - setting up new internal wiki at Apache, new pootle server, new project
> web page
> - IP cleanup of the code
> - setting up build bots
> - preparing regular dev snapshots and final RC
> - great QA work
> - archiving older releases and not yet integrated cws
> - establishing a powerful mirror network with new partners
> - work on documentation to reflect the new name and latest changes
> - ...
>
> The release is only the successful crowning end of a huge huge effort
> and a lot of work to migrate everything from Oracle infra-structure to
> Apache and partners.
>
> We all know that it was not only the source code that was migrated/moved
> but much more and especially the way how we improved over time our
> collaboration on different tasks makes me very proud and I am really
> looking forward to continue this work with all of you.
>
> We have strong characters in the project with different communication
> styles but I think we should always look twice what individuals are
> really doing here in the project and for the project before we
> adjudicate on somebody.
>
> And about statements like "the major part of the community have moved
> to..." can I only laugh out loud. I felt myself always as part of the
> OOo community and I never have moved to somewhere else ;-) (sorry I
> couldn't resist)
>
> Thanks to all of you
>
> Juergen

Very well said !!!

Thanks, and congratulations to everyone !!

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
On 05/02/12 00:46, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> The vote period for releasing Apache OpenOffice (incubator) RC1  has
> concluded.
>
> The ballot passed.
>
> VOTE TALLY
>
> +1:
>
> IPMC members:
>
> +1 Marvin Humphrey
> +1 Dave Fisher
> +1 Jim Jagielski
>
> For reference see also the vote thread on ooo-dev
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.9000707%40googlemail.com%3E
>

> Thank you for your support
>
> Juergen

I have no idea if it's common for Podlings to have a successful
vote in their first attempt but I have to say this result highlights
the determination and impecable work done by the group.

Special thanks to Juergen and all the people responsible for the
last mile efforts. It was really a huge effort and I am glad to have
participated, albeit minimally, in this release.

Pedro.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/2 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>

> The vote period for releasing Apache OpenOffice (incubator) RC1  has
> concluded.
>
> The ballot passed.
>
> VOTE TALLY
>
> +1:
>
> IPMC members:
>
> +1 Marvin Humphrey
> +1 Dave Fisher
> +1 Jim Jagielski
>
> For reference see also the vote thread on ooo-dev
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.**org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-**
> dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.**9000707%40googlemail.com%3E<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.9000707%40googlemail.com%3E>
>

> Thank you for your support
>
> Juergen

Congratulation! :)

Best,
Albino @bino28

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/2/12 3:57 PM, imacat wrote:
> Dear Jürgen,
>
>      I believe I had voted a +1 at Apr 23th but not counted, thought the
> result will still be the same.  Maybe it only count on ooo-dev list?

exactly only the votes on ooo-dev were counted. The next time I will
post it on ooo-dev only to avoid confusion. But we all learn at the
moment how things at Apache work and we will improve over time.

Juergen

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
Dear Jürgen,

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Nice work team.

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Juergen,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 02:31 AM, schrieb Albino Biasutti Neto:
> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/3 Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>
>
>> I've added it as candidate to this Wikipage:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning>
>>
>> Marcus
>>

> One question?!
>
> The Risto who will coordinate all translations (as a scale) of the next
> version? That is, a general coordinator of the languages ​​and then.
>
> It would be a good idea, if he make available.

IMHO Risto Jääskeläinen will take care for Finnish language only and
Juergen Schmidt to coordinate all languages for the next release.

Marcus

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/3 Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de>

> I've added it as candidate to this Wikipage:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
> AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning>
>
> Marcus

One question?!

The Risto who will coordinate all translations (as a scale) of the next
version? That is, a general coordinator of the languages ​​and then.

It would be a good idea, if he make available.

Thanks,
Albino

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andreas Säger <vi...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>.
Congratulations to all and thanks to Juergen, too. But the words are
not enough; what is, is use.

To that end, I've used the Mac version (and also Linux, though less
so) daily, and it has been great. I've also used it with Google Docs,
with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, with Calligra (KOffice) and
others. The application has not disappointed and also not crashed. (I
wish I could say the same for other application I find myself using.)

One other point. The release process for OOo was as efficient as it
could be but also painful to many. I don't think that I've heard
similar expressions of frustration and pain here.

That's *great*.

Cheers,
Louis

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/2 Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Albino Biasutti Neto <biasuttin@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi.

> many
> > >
> > > Juergen did a incredible work studing all process and giving attention
> > > for all (i don't know from where he found time!). ;-)
> > >
> > > And congratulation for all that made possible more this step!
> > >
> > > Claudio
> > >

> > I am announcing in the social networks the @apacheoobr (created by me),
> > with the link [1].
> >

> OK, can you please coordinate with Claudio? Timing should be next Tuesday,
> May 8th.
> thanks

Yes, of course! :)

Good date, May 8th.

Best,
Albino

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/01/2012 10:46 PM, � wrote:
> The vote period for releasing Apache OpenOffice (incubator) RC1  has
> concluded.
>
> The ballot passed.
>
> VOTE TALLY
>
> +1:

YAY! Much thanks and applause to our release manager, Juergen and many
others who made this a reality!

> IPMC members:
>
> +1 Marvin Humphrey
> +1 Dave Fisher
> +1 Jim Jagielski
>
> For reference see also the vote thread on ooo-dev
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F9A452A.9000707%40googlemail.com%3E
>

> Thank you for your support
>
> Juergen

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating) RC1

Posted by Maho NAKATA <ma...@apache.org>.
congratulations!

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.
Great News!

--
Best Regards

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Juergen et al, (*and I mean everyone*!),

This is so amazing. My 'hats', my 'Apache Hat', 'my IBM Hat', are off to
you guys. If I may be so direct as to say, we have come together in a new
way, fashioning the future from the past. This may sound simple, but it is
not. I think we can agree on this.

This is just the beginning. We have very many steep hills to climb and more
trust to build and more arguments to wage. That's the norm, right? Our
users depend on us now, we must not let them down, while we invite them to
join and work with us at the same time.

Onwards!

/don

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations! and thanks for all people who worked very hard/helped on
this great delivery! It's a success for this community, and a beginning of
our excitement in Apache.

When will we have 3.4 release formally announced/shared with others? Are
there any more work left before we announce it?

Helen

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>.