Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ed Heckman <eh...@dimensioni.com> on 2005/06/01 20:40:10 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 looking for wrong httpd.conf file on Mac

on 5/31/05 12:08 AM, Tejas Sanghavi at tejas.sanghavi@patni.com wrote:

> Try './apachectl configtest'. This will pick the current version. If apache
> is installed in some other directory as well and that directory is present
> in the environment variable PATH first, then problem may arise.

These two responses combined to give the answer I needed. Httpd -V showed me
that what I was launching was the copy of Apache that comes with Mac OS X. I
wasn't aware that unix searches for executables in the PATH but not the
current directory, unlike DOS. So being in the correct directory and just
typing 'httpd' did NOT launch the copy in that directory, it launched one
from somewhere else. No wonder I was confused!

Thank you guys for helping to clear this up for me.

Now to grapple with the next problem(s)...

 Ed "What the" Heckman                     Dimension i Technologies
 eheckman@dimensioni.com                  http://www.dimensioni.com
                          (717) 560-4114
| There will come a time when you believe everything is finished.  |
| That will be the beginning.                                      |
|                                                 -- Louis L'Amour |

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 looking for wrong httpd.conf file on Mac

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.
>> httpd -V will show you where he thinks that the configuration file is,
>

> on 5/31/05 12:08 AM, Tejas Sanghavi at tejas.sanghavi@patni.com wrote:
>
>> Try './apachectl configtest'. This will pick the current version. If
>> apache
>> is installed in some other directory as well and that directory is
>> present
>> in the environment variable PATH first, then problem may arise.
>

> These two responses combined to give the answer I needed. Httpd -V showed
> me
> that what I was launching was the copy of Apache that comes with Mac OS X.
> wasn't aware that unix searches for executables in the PATH but not the
> current directory, unlike DOS. So being in the correct directory and just
> typing 'httpd' did NOT launch the copy in that directory, it launched one
> from somewhere else. No wonder I was confused!
>
> Thank you guys for helping to clear this up for me.
>
> Now to grapple with the next problem(s)...

You may find it useful to add . (current directory) at some
point (beginning?) in your PATH definitions (.profile and/or
/etc/profile ?).

--J