Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk> on 2007/02/26 10:54:10 UTC

sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Hello,

I run a mail server which is using the latest stable spamassassin
available through the standard debian repositories - "spamassassin
3.0.3-2sarge1".

As you can imagine, having not done an update of the rules for a very
long time, it's pretty useless these days, so i was wondering how
"sa-update" worked.

BUT... the "sa-update" command doesn't seem to exist on my system... any
ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
I agree it doesn't sound like a SA problem.  I can't help either, as I use
Postfix.  Surely the Exim-SA people will be getting up soon...

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Which startup scripts? There are a lot of them, some of which might call
others... am i going to have to trawl through rc3.d or is there an
easier way?

Thanks again,
Richard.

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

I would hope upgrading exim is not necessary, because that could easily
become several weeks worth of approvals, testing, downtime etc...!

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Thank you for the link, but it's not for spamassassin... it does look
very similar to the config i have in exim for spamassassin though.

Does anyone know if i do need to adjust the config in exim when
upgrading spamassassin from "3.0.3-2sarge1" to "3.1.7-1~bpo.1" as per
the backports repository?

My current exim config is as follows:

Router:
sa_router:
   no_verify
   check_local_user
   # When to scan a message :
   # - it isn't already flagged as spam from Spamassassin
   # - it isn't already scanned
   # - it isn't local
   # - it isn't from one internal domain user to another
   condition = "${if and { \
                         {!eq {$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}} \
                         {!eq {$received_protocol}{local}} \
                         {!eq {$sender_address_domain}{$domain}} \
                         } \

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.
> [...]

> "subscribed" to spamassassin the message failed to get through,
> stating:

> 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandoned
>
> "tail -100 /var/log/exim4/mainlog | grep user1" then gave:

> 2007-02-28 01:34:27 1HMDi7-0004Gt-Qt <= user1@remote.com
> H=mail19.messagelabs.com [193.109.254.3] P=smtp S=2421
> id=CD8C1BEE555637B798D93712@[10.0.0.200] T="RE: Firewall" from
> <us...@remote.com> for user2@domain.com user1@domain.com
> 2007-02-28 01:44:27 1HMDi7-0004Gt-Qt <us...@domain.com>: sa_spamcheck
> transport output: An error was detected while processing a file of
> BSMTP input.
> 2007-02-28 01:44:28 1HMDi7-0004Gt-Qt ** user1@domain.com
> <us...@domain.com> F=<us...@remote.com> P=<us...@remote.com>
> R=sa_router T=sa_spamcheck: Child process of sa_spamcheck transport
> returned 2 from command: /usr/sbin/exim4

Adam Wilbraham - Assistant Systems Administrator
TechnoPhobia Limited
The Workstation
15 Paternoster Row
SHEFFIELD
England
S1 2BX
t: +44 (0)114 2212123
f: +44 (0)114 2212124
e: adam.wilbraham@technophobia.com
w: http://www.technophobia.com/

Registered in England and Wales Company No. 3063669
VAT registration No. 598 7858 42
ISO 9001:2000 Accredited Company No. 21227
ISO 14001:2004 Accredited Company No. E997
ISO 27001:2005 (BS7799) Accredited Company No. IS 508906
Investor in People Certified No. 101507

The contents of this email are confidential to the addressee
and are intended solely for the recipients use. If you are not
the addressee, you have received this email in error.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in
reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author
personally and not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not accept
responsibility for the contents of the message.

All email communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia,
are recorded for monitoring purposes.

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

I have two problems currently:

1) sa-update may or may not be working - this is not urgent.

2) spamassassin itself is not working at all - this is very urgent! lol

Does anyone have any idea why sa has stopped working for me? Let's
ignore sa-update for the time being, unless it's relevant in terms of
getting sa working generally!

Thanks again people... i'm going to tackle sa-update again as soon as sa
actually works :-)

So... any ideas?

Thanks again,
Richard.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Hello,
>
>Quick question... This is a snippet from the exim mailing list:
>
> > The routers and transports seem fine. However, a quick check
> > through a FreeBSD Spamassassin change log does reveal that a
> > bug was introduced that gave problems with Exim, Spamassassin
> > and BSMTP:
> >
> > http://pkgsrc.se/mail/spamassassin
> > (bug 4966 in their numbering scheme)
> >
> > I'd check with the Debian package maintainers that this bug
> > has been fixed in the release they've put out.
>
>So... do you think i'm suffering this bug? The URL above indicates that
>it was fixed in 3.1.4, but am i suffering what looks like that bug, do
>you think?
>
>I'm still waiting to hear about the possible timeout setting in the exim
>config.
>
>Trouble is, with testing, if it goes wrong again, email is returned to
>the sender, and for people like my manager etc... this is unacceptable.
>
>Unfortunately, we do not have a test environment at the moment, so if i
>do make a change, i need to be as certain as i can be that it will fix
>the problem :-(
>
>Thanks again people...
>Richard.

Not being familiar with Exim4 I'm not sure what to suggest. The Debian
version of SA should have that patch applied. I saw no recent Exim related
bug reports on the Debian spamassassin page (but you may have discovered a
new bug). Just curious, what CPU/hardware are you running and how many
messages per day? I will mention that it is possible to downgrade back to
the stable (3.0.x) version of spamassassin provided you have not installed
programs (like FuzzyOcr) that depend on a 3.1.x version. Even if you did
install something like FuzzyOcr you could simply remove it. I doubt you have
made any incompatible changes to local.cf so there should be no reason you
couldn't keep your current files (/etc/default/spamassassin and
/etc/spamassassin/local.cf).
# apt-get install spamassassin/stable
# apt-get install spamc/stable
but only as a last resort. This worked for me on a test system - YMMV.
Yeah, a test box would come in handy here. Is anyone else out there using
this setup successfully?

Gary V

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSNŽ
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Replies inline...

Gary V wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> > If some work and some don't I suspect this could possibly
>> > be a timeout issue.
>>
>> It is a timeout... see my message at 09:30 GMT this morning...

>> 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandoned
>
> While it's not clear to me what process produced this message, I would
> assume it's EXIM's reply to the sender.

That is correct. That is the response the sender received from exim.

>> As for crashing out due to a possible time limit, how could i check
>> this? surely such a feature would be built into spamassassin, right?
>>

> I'm guessing here (because I have never used EXIM) but does EXIM set a
> default time limit on sa_router: or sa_spamcheck: ?

Not sure... i'll find out from the exim mailing list.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>It disables network tests. I believe you can edit /etc/default/spamassassin
>and add it to the list of OPTIONS, e.g.:
>
>OPTIONS="--local --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir"
>
>then restart spamd
>/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

In order to help diagnose the problem you may also want to run spamd in the
foreground (non daemonized). Stop the daemonized spamd. Start spamd and keep
the terminal session open. Open a different terminal session to work on Exim
and reenable sending to SA.

# /etc/init.d/spamassassin stop
# spamd
watch for obvious errors, [Ctrl]+c when finished - then
# /etc/init.d/spamassassin start
to return to daemonized mode.
If you get errors that prevent spamd from returning some sort of result:

[5191] info: spamd: identified spam (8.9/5.0) for amavis:103 in 7.9 seconds,
5452 bytes.

Then you probably will have to once again disable sending mail to spamd and
restart EXIM until you get the issue resolved.

Note that since the --local option disables net tests, SA may pass a lot
more spam. Remember that this is only enabled to help diagnose the issue.

Gary V

simple tips.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Hello,
>
> > If some work and some don't I suspect this could possibly
> > be a timeout issue.
>
>It is a timeout... see my message at 09:30 GMT this morning...

>421 SMTP incoming data timeout - message abandoned

While it's not clear to me what process produced this message, I would
assume it's EXIM's reply to the sender.

>As for crashing out due to a possible time limit, how could i check
>this? surely such a feature would be built into spamassassin, right?

I'm guessing here (because I have never used EXIM) but does EXIM set a
default time limit on sa_router: or sa_spamcheck: ?

>AFAIK, this is a standard debian sarge box, with exim installed and
>configured, and not much else done to it. I could be wrong, but this is
>most likely the case.
>
>Also, with regards to --local, what does this do, and how can i actually
>run it this way?
>
>Thanks again,
>Richard.

It disables network tests. I believe you can edit /etc/default/spamassassin
and add it to the list of OPTIONS, e.g.:

OPTIONS="--local --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir"

then restart spamd
/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

Why do you say sa-update is not working? SA-update will not pull new files
if the files that exist are up to date. You can see if the new rules are
being used or not if you run a quick spamassassin debug (note that --lint
turns off net tests so this is not a full debug session):

spamassassin --lint -D

you should see stuff like:

[27662] dbg: plugin: fixed relative path:
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org/20_body_tests.cf
[27662] dbg: config: using
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org/20_body_tests.cf"
for included file
[27662] dbg: config: read file
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org/20_body_tests.cf

Gary V

Intro*Terms

Re: sa-update doesn't exist on my system

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

I have now run "sa-update -D" and it has produced this:

mail:~# sa-update -D
[2304] dbg: logger: adding facilities: all
[2304] dbg: logger: logging level is DBG
[2304] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.1.7
[2304] dbg: config: score set 0 chosen.
[2304] dbg: message: ---- MIME PARSER START ----
[2304] dbg: message: main message type: text/plain
[2304] dbg: message: parsing normal part
[2304] dbg: message: added part, type: text/plain
[2304] dbg: message: ---- MIME PARSER END ----
[2304] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
[2304] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.59
[2304] dbg: generic: sa-update version svn454083
[2304] dbg: generic: using update directory: /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007
[2304] dbg: diag: perl platform: 5.008004 linux
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Digest::SHA1, version 2.10
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: IO::Socket::INET6 ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: IO::Socket::SSL ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Time::HiRes, version 1.59
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: DBI ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Getopt::Long, version 2.34
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: LWP::UserAgent, version 2.033
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: HTTP::Date, version 1.46
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Archive::Tar, version 1.23
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: IO::Zlib, version 1.04
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: DB_File, version 1.808
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: HTML::Parser, version 3.45
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: MIME::Base64, version 3.04
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Net::DNS, version 0.59
[2304] dbg: diag: module installed: Net::SMTP, version 2.30
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: Mail::SPF::Query ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: IP::Country::Fast ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: Razor2::Client::Agent ('require'
failed)
[2304] dbg: diag: module not installed: Net::Ident ('require' failed)
[2304] dbg: gpg: Searching for 'gpg'
[2304] dbg: util: current PATH is:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
[2304] dbg: util: executable for gpg was found at /usr/bin/gpg
[2304] dbg: gpg: found /usr/bin/gpg
[2304] dbg: gpg: release trusted key id list:
5E541DC959CB8BAC7C78DFDC4056A61A5244EC45
26C900A46DD40CD5AD24F6D7DEE01987265FA05B
0C2B1D7175B852C64B3CDC716C55397824F434CE
[2304] dbg: channel: attempting channel updates.spamassassin.org
[2304] dbg: channel: update directory
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org
[2304] dbg: channel: channel cf file
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org.cf
[2304] dbg: channel: channel pre file
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org.pre
[2304] dbg: channel: metadata version = 507739
[2304] dbg: dns: 7.1.3.updates.spamassassin.org => 507739, parsed as 507739
[2304] dbg: channel: current version is 507739, new version is 507739,
skipping channel
[2304] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 1
mail:~#

I seem to have the following missing Perl libraries:

  IO::Socket::INET6
  IO::Socket::SSL
  DBI
  Mail::SPF::Query
  IP::Country::Fast
  Razor2::Client::Agent
  Net::Ident

You said that you installed the missing modules from the regular sarge
distro, but i can't seem to find exact matches for any of them using
"apt-cache search". Any suggestions? Or, failing that, could you
possibly tell me the exact package names for the above modules so i can
install them easily? :-)

Thanks again,
Richard.

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk> wrote:
>
>There shouldn't be, from what I recall its as simple as that. The only
>other thing you'll want to do is run sa-update and then restart spamd!
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you :-)
> >
> > Once i've run the command below, is there anything i need to do, other
> > that restart the spamassassin daemon?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Hobbs.
> >

> > Adam Wilbraham wrote:
> > > Yupp - try giving apt-get the "-t sarge-backports" switch to force
> > > it to download from that repository, eg:
> > >
> > >  apt-get install -t sarge-backports spamassassin spamc

If you were using DCC (and abiding by the license) you will want to
uncomment this in v310.pre:
#loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:36:32 +0000

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.

Posted by Richard Hobbs <ri...@crl.toshiba.co.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.

Posted by Maciej Friedel <bi...@wwv.pl>.
> BUT... the "sa-update" command doesn't seem to exist on my system...
any
> ideas?

You need upgrade to 3.1.x if You neet tu use sa-update

maciek

--
|_|0|_| Maciej Friedel <bi...@wwv.pl>
|_|_|0| http://wwv.pl - usługi hostingowe

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Richard Hobbs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run a mail server which is using the latest stable spamassassin
> available through the standard debian repositories - "spamassassin
> 3.0.3-2sarge1".
>
> As you can imagine, having not done an update of the rules for a very
> long time, it's pretty useless these days, so i was wondering how
> "sa-update" worked.
>
> BUT... the "sa-update" command doesn't seem to exist on my system... any
> ideas?

sa-update exists in 3.1.0 and newer. The current version of SpamAssassin
is 3.1.8.

One thing to remember is that the debian stable repositories are just
that. Stable. They do not have the latest versions of everything, and
adopt new versions slowly and only after reliablilty is proven.