Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2003/05/14 19:19:05 UTC

apache 2.0 vs 2.1

is there some generic way we want to think about integrating changes between
apache 2.0 and 2.1?

what is particularly piquing my interest (today) is the aaa stuff.  I wrote
a patch that added the different AUTH_* constants to Apache::Const, but it
clearly needs to be separated out somehow since mod_auth.h doesn't exist in
2.0.  same with ap_register_provider and some other functions that are
useful for hooking into the new aaa scheme.

so, what do we do?  not support 2.1 yet?  write in a bunch of ifdefs
surrounding the new routines?  create new routines in the generation
thingies that recognize the MMN and do the right thing?

--Geoff

Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> I thought that aaa was already in 2.0. Isn't that the case?
>

> do some degree, but all many of the hooks that make it interesting are
> missing (like mod_auth.h)
>
> see
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2202671
>
> for a nice, recent description of the current state of aaa.

Thanks for the link, Geoff.

As I suspected all the 2.1 stuff will eventually become 2.2. So depending on
how different 2.2 is going to be, we might need to have a whole new mod_perl
generation (modperl-2.2).

I wonder how we are going to deal with triplet version numbers. We probably
will need to release mod_perl 2 as modperl-2.0.xx, so then we can have
mod_perl-2.2.xx. Or we could have modperl-2.0xx (199 releases) and
modperl-2.2xx (199 more releases).

Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>

>> I thought that aaa was already in 2.0. Isn't that the case?
>

> they changed the way the authorization & authentication is done in 2.1
> it was a pretty big change, and not backportable, and imho was the
> reason the 2.1 was started in the first place.

Thanks for rectifying that issue, Ian.

So what's the ROADMAP for making 2.1 stable? Or is it going to be 2.2-stable?

How other projects (like mod_perl) are supposed to handle that?

Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> is there some generic way we want to think about integrating changes
> between apache 2.0 and 2.1?
>
> what is particularly piquing my interest (today) is the aaa stuff.  I
> wrote a patch that added the different AUTH_* constants to
> Apache::Const, but it clearly needs to be separated out somehow since
> mod_auth.h doesn't exist in 2.0.  same with ap_register_provider and
> some other functions that are useful for hooking into the new aaa scheme.
>
> so, what do we do?  not support 2.1 yet?  write in a bunch of ifdefs
> surrounding the new routines?  create new routines in the generation
> thingies that recognize the MMN and do the right thing?

We can't really support 2.1. If I understand correctly all features committed
to 2.1 are experemental and can be removed at any moment. Currently if you
want to add a new feature to 2.x you go and commit it to the 2.1 (HEAD) trunk.
Then people vote if this feature is good/wanted and then it gets backported to
2.0.

If you want a particular feature to be in 2.0 you have to advocate httpd
commiters to vote 3 +1 (and no -1s) and then it'll go into 2.0 and then we can
support it.

You may want to run this through httpd-dev, just in case that my understanding
of their approach is wrong.

I thought that aaa was already in 2.0. Isn't that the case?