Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jauder Ho <ja...@carumba.com> on 2001/03/16 01:33:19 UTC

VeryOT: help needed

Alright, it's crunch time (trying to help a coworker out) and I need to
pick up some XML parsing with perl fast. So if anyone here has some good
resources, they can point me at, it would be much appreciated.

The problem I am trying to solve is as follows: I have two XML files, one
is encoded in UTF8 and the other is in ASCII7. I need to parse the ASCII7
file first and if a tag exists in the UTF8 file replace the data in the
ASCII7 file with the UTF8 info. Everything should then be output in a UTF8
format.

Pointers to manipulating XML needed but I would take any additional help.
Thanks.

--Jauder

Re: VeryOT: help needed

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Jauder Ho wrote:

> Alright, it's crunch time (trying to help a coworker out) and I need
> to pick up some XML parsing with perl fast. So if anyone here has some
> good resources, they can point me at, it would be much appreciated.
>
> The problem I am trying to solve is as follows: I have two XML files, one
> is encoded in UTF8 and the other is in ASCII7. I need to parse the ASCII7
> file first and if a tag exists in the UTF8 file replace the data in the
> ASCII7 file with the UTF8 info. Everything should then be output in a UTF8
> format.
>
> Pointers to manipulating XML needed but I would take any additional help.
> Thanks.

There is actually a list for perl and xml, for what it's worth, where this
would be on topic... Anyway, I'm going to be totally unbiased here and
suggest you look at XML::XPath. I'm not 100% certain what you're trying to
achieve, but most things are pretty simple with XPath. Contact me offline
if you have further questions.

--
<Matt/>

     \\//