Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Billy Pearson <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com> on 2008/09/12 03:02:09 UTC

BatchUpdate and BatchOperation

should we not have a option to be able to get the BatchOperation's of a
BatchUpdate

Example

I have text files with lines of records I want to insert into hbase
I was just mapping them and the map was just inserting the records in to
hbase

I speed this up by adding inline code to detect multi columns per row that
are in order.

I was going to add a reduce stage to merge multi backupdates of the same row
in the
reduce stage but there is no way to get the BatchOperations from the
batchUpdates

Should we add a method to get the BatchOperations from the BatchUpdates?
Or Should I just be passing a BatchOperation to the reduce stage then merge
them into a BatchUpdate?

Either way I thank we need a method ("add" or something) for BatchUpdate
that accepts BatchOperations sense this is what we converting to in the end.

Re: BatchUpdate and BatchOperation

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Good +1, I agree with you.

-Ed

--
Best regards, Edward J. Yoon
edwardyoon@apache.org

Re: BatchUpdate and BatchOperation

Posted by Billy Pearson <bi...@sbcglobal.net>.

What I was doing was merging records for the same row on my map in a
BatchUpdate then was going to try and merge the BatchUpdates on the reduce
so all only inserting once per row.

But I have to pass BatchOperations on the map and build the BatchUpdate on
the Reduce sense we haven no way to get the column/value's of a BatchUpdate
or merge two BatchUpdates but I can see where it would be helpfull to be
able to get the column/values from a BatchUpdate.

Billy

BatchUpdate implements Iterable<BatchOperation> doesn't that do what you
want?

---
Jim Kellerman, Senior Software Development Engineer
Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)

Posted by Ryan Smith <ry...@gmail.com>.
I think hes saying theres no direct access to the list of batchOperations.
They are defined as private.

And i dont think there should be direct access.  The operations should be
manipulated thru put/ get/ delete methods i think.
Just my 2 cents.

-Ryan

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.

Posted by Billy Pearson <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>.
Eather of the designs will be fine with me on HBASE-880
as for my post is just about adding a a new feature to BatchUpdate or what
ever it will be named in the future

Billy

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Billy Pearson <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>.