Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr> on 2015/05/08 09:44:42 UTC

SO_REUSEPORT

Hi,

The SO_REUSEPORT patch has been in trunk for a few months now and has
been proposed for backport in 2.4.x.

Here is an interesting paper which gives a clear explanation and some
benchmark results:
http://www.intel.ie/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/scaling-apache-server-performance-paper.pdf

Would be great if it could be committed in 2.4.x.
Having it reviewed and tested for 2.4.13 may not be possible because of
the T&R window which seems to be in the coming days/weeks.
(this already what was answered for the 2.4.11/2.4.12 release)

Maybe, 2.4.14 could focus on reviewing/merging this patch and associated
performance improvement?
To help adoption, maybe an ASF server could be upgraded with a
SO_REUSEPORT patched version of Apache to have our own measurements and
see how it scales in a real world application.
This has already been done in the past (testing impact of the skiplist
implementation).

Best regards,
CJ

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Actually, I was going to test that exact patch this weekend, in hopes
of getting it into 2.4

RE: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by "Lu, Yingqi" <yi...@intel.com>.
Thank you very much for your help, Yann!

All, please test the patch and vote for us if you like it :-)

Thanks,
Yingqi

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to review & understand how this affects process management for
> things like MinSpareThreads/MaxSpareThreads e.g.
>
> -    else if (idle_thread_count < min_spare_threads) {
> +    else if (idle_thread_count < min_spare_threads / num_buckets) {
>          /* terminate the free list */
>          if (free_length == 0) { /* scoreboard is f
>
> -    if (idle_thread_count > max_spare_threads) {
> +    if (idle_thread_count > max_spare_threads / num_buckets) {
>          /* Kill off one child */
>
> If I wanted between 100 and 200 spare threads available to do some slow
> stuff like proxy or CGI,  would we really scale it back by the # of buckets
> or am I misunderstanding?

perform_idle_server_maintenance() is now called for each bucket in the
main loop, so this won't change the number of threads maintained per
loop.

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

RE: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by "Lu, Yingqi" <yi...@intel.com>.
Hi Yann,

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
My chief concern was that the phrase "Common Log" has a specific meaning to
us.

ap_mpm_common_log_startup() or something else descriptive would be a better
name, but our crew is famous for not being terrific namers of things :)

Did this compile with no warnings?  It seems statics were used without
being explicitly initialized, and I don't have my copy of K&R to check that
these are always NULL, but guessing that's so.   For clarity alone, I'd

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: SO_REUSEPORT

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.