Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/31 14:10:24 UTC

james-jcr updates

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, in the past few days I've again committed
some updates to the james-jcr sandbox component. The main changes are
about extracting the Message->JCR storage mechanism to a standalone
JavaBean class, and adding an intermediate .../year/month/day/...
folder structure to better manage large volumes of email.

As a background for these updates, at Day we're currently working on
some email/wiki integration stuff on top of JCR and it would be great
to use James as the email component. Currently we're just pulling
messages from external sources using normal IMAP and POP client
support in JavaMail and feeding the messages to a JCR repository using
a slightly modified version of the JCRStoreBean from james-jcr.
There's also a brief blog entry [1] about this stuff.

I was trying to build the current James server trunk and set it up as
a simple dependency that I could just start with minimal configuration
within a webapp to listen for incoming SMTP connections. I'd then feed
the incoming messages to a JCR repository using the james-jcr
component. Unfortunately I didn't get too far along those lines. Any
pointers on how to best do this? (Preferably with Maven 2... :-)

[1] http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/jcrmail.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: james-jcr updates

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 2, 2008 10:36 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 8:51 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> > Jukka Zitting wrote:

<snip>

> > > I was trying to build the current James server trunk and set it up as
> > > a simple dependency that I could just start with minimal configuration
> > > within a webapp to listen for incoming SMTP connections. I'd then feed
> > > the incoming messages to a JCR repository using the james-jcr
> > > component. Unfortunately I didn't get too far along those lines. Any
> > > pointers on how to best do this? (Preferably with Maven 2... :-)
>
> i think that there are probably two separate questions here
>
> the first is how to create a deployment which includes JCR. bernd
> covers this well below. i'll talk about the second in another mail.

AIUI (hopefully people will jump in and correct me)

SMTP accepts incoming mail and spools it onto the processing queue.
mail on this queue is processed by none, one or more mailets as
specified in the configuration. mailets perform the actual processing
including directing mail to storage.

in a conventional SMTP configuration, LocalDelivery mailet is used to
deliver incoming mail to the INBOX of the user for which it's
intended. so, the mail repository that the mail is delivered to is set
by the James configuration (in james-config.xml). so, to deliver to a
JCR repository, a repository needs to be added to the repositories
configuration and the inboxRepository set to that.

(maybe it would be quicker and easier for me to copy james-jcr into
trunk and just create an example configuration)

- robert

Re: james-jcr updates

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Samstag, den 02.02.2008, 10:36 +0000 schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:

<SNIP>

> IMHO spring is the way to go: a fullly configurable pheonix deployment
> takes too much time to develop. (for example, the basic pheonix
> configuration took longer than the rest of the activeMQ integration)

+1

I think we should push more the spring stuff and move the phoenix
deployment to /dev/null ;-)

> > When it comes to deploying James/Spring within a web application,
> there
> > is a little bit more to do. I was already starting working on this
> and
> > will follow up as soon as there is progress.
>
> cool
>
> - robert

bye
Norman

Re: james-jcr updates

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 31, 2008 8:51 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you may have noticed, in the past few days I've again committed
> > some updates to the james-jcr sandbox component. The main changes are
> > about extracting the Message->JCR storage mechanism to a standalone
> > JavaBean class, and adding an intermediate .../year/month/day/...
> > folder structure to better manage large volumes of email.
> >
> > As a background for these updates, at Day we're currently working on
> > some email/wiki integration stuff on top of JCR and it would be great
> > to use James as the email component. Currently we're just pulling
> > messages from external sources using normal IMAP and POP client
> > support in JavaMail and feeding the messages to a JCR repository using
> > a slightly modified version of the JCRStoreBean from james-jcr.
> > There's also a brief blog entry [1] about this stuff.
>
> :-) interesting stuff. I am eager to learn what is coming out of this...

+1

i still have the ambition to create a complete JCR backend for JAMES.
i'm tempted to pull a copy of the module into trunk.

[though i've made signficant progress on IMAP, even when imap4rev3
protocol implementation is complete (which i hope to have finished by
ApacheConEU), the data access model needs to be completely revised
before i can think about porting to a JCR. also, the JAMES mailbox
architecture is inefficient and needs significant revision.

the JAMES component architecture also needs revision (it's just too
hard to add new stuff)]

> > I was trying to build the current James server trunk and set it up as
> > a simple dependency that I could just start with minimal configuration
> > within a webapp to listen for incoming SMTP connections. I'd then feed
> > the incoming messages to a JCR repository using the james-jcr
> > component. Unfortunately I didn't get too far along those lines. Any
> > pointers on how to best do this? (Preferably with Maven 2... :-)

i think that there are probably two separate questions here

the first is how to create a deployment which includes JCR. bernd
covers this well below. i'll talk about the second in another mail.

> I am not a mvn2 expert, so I try to give some other advise...
>
> Add all jars from spring-deployment/target/james-*/lib/ to your project
> and launch
>
> org.apache.james.container.spring.Main
>
> and you should be up and running.

+1

Re: james-jcr updates

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may have noticed, in the past few days I've again committed
> some updates to the james-jcr sandbox component. The main changes are
> about extracting the Message->JCR storage mechanism to a standalone
> JavaBean class, and adding an intermediate .../year/month/day/...
> folder structure to better manage large volumes of email.
>
> As a background for these updates, at Day we're currently working on
> some email/wiki integration stuff on top of JCR and it would be great
> to use James as the email component. Currently we're just pulling
> messages from external sources using normal IMAP and POP client
> support in JavaMail and feeding the messages to a JCR repository using
> a slightly modified version of the JCRStoreBean from james-jcr.
> There's also a brief blog entry [1] about this stuff.

:-) interesting stuff. I am eager to learn what is coming out of this...

> I was trying to build the current James server trunk and set it up as
> a simple dependency that I could just start with minimal configuration
> within a webapp to listen for incoming SMTP connections. I'd then feed
> the incoming messages to a JCR repository using the james-jcr
> component. Unfortunately I didn't get too far along those lines. Any
> pointers on how to best do this? (Preferably with Maven 2... :-)

I am not a mvn2 expert, so I try to give some other advise...

Add all jars from spring-deployment/target/james-*/lib/ to your project
and launch

org.apache.james.container.spring.Main

and you should be up and running.

When it comes to deploying James/Spring within a web application, there
is a little bit more to do. I was already starting working on this and
will follow up as soon as there is progress.

   Bernd