Posted to user@poi.apache.org by jaikiran pai <ja...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/08/11 11:24:43 UTC

Performance of POI-HSSF

Hi,
We just started using POI-HSSF - Java API To Access Microsoft Excel Format Files. We have xls files which contain huge amounts of data. While testing out the APIs provided by POI-HSSF, we observed that the time taken to create a HSSFWorkbook out of a stream, it takes around 6 seconds(the workbook had 1 sheet and 20000 records). Here's the code that we used to load the xls:

POIFSFileSystem fs1 = new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream("C:\\temp\\New_20000.xls"));
HSSFWorkbook locationsWorkbook1 = new HSSFWorkbook(fs1); //takes 6 seconds.
long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
System.out.println("Time taken to load xls: " + (end-start));

Is there any performance metric available for POI-HSSF. Is there any way that this performance can be improved. Our xls file contents start from 20000 records and might even run into 200000 records.
  Thank you.
regards,
-Jaikiran

---------------------------------

Re: AW: Performance of POI-HSSF

Posted by jaikiran pai <ja...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanks Karl, for the inputs. Will have a look at the event model to see if its feasible in our project.

  regards,
  -Jaikiran

"KHZ (SAW)" <ka...@sawag.com> wrote:
  Hi Jaikiran.

Improving speed is possible by using the event model instead of the user
model. But then you do the things by foot.

Regards, Karl-Heinz.

AW: Performance of POI-HSSF

Posted by "KHZ (SAW)" <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Jaikiran.