Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/02/07 17:04:10 UTC

[FRIDAY] YA Stuts In Action / JUnit in Action Trivia Quiz

Last time, we asked contestants to name for a popular science fiction series that featured a psi cop named after a science fiction author

1 The series (Babylon 5)

2 The character (Alfred Bester)

3 The actor who played the character (Walter Koenig)

4 The character this actor played in another famous science fiction series (Chekov)

*OR* to list the twelve core practices of Extreme Programming.

----

Turn out was low for this contest, so either the questions were hard, or this bit is getting stale :)

Anyway, last week's winner is:

* MELISSA L KELLEY

(Melissa, please send your surface mail address to husted@apache.org, and indicate whether you would like JUnit in Action or Struts in Action)

----

NEXT:

To play, correctly answer  -- directly to me at husted@apache.org -- one or both of these questions.

In The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, a character used a jingle to help keep himself from being "scanned".

  1 The first word of the chant is "Tenser". How does the rest of it go?

In Dune by Frank Herbert, a character used a litany to help him through a time of stress.

  2 The first word of the chant is "Fear". How does the rest of it go?

*OR*

  + Name your two favorite changes, improvements, or new additions to the Struts Nightly Build since 1.1 was released. Hint: <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/release-notes.html>. One more addition, currently in progress, is to add a "module" parameters to several tags to allow linking between modules. [Yes, 1.2.0 will be along shortly :)]

----

Contestants sending -- directly to me at husted@apache.org -- correct answers to the to the bonus question *OR* the SF question to me will be eligible for the next drawing. (the correct answers being the ones I expect). Prior winners excluded (but feel free to play anyway).

The contest will run until Thursday, January 15, 2004, 23:59:59, so everyone has a chance to participate.

The lucky winner selected from the correct responses will receive their choice of either a signed copy of Struts in Action *OR* JUnit in Action.

(Signed only by me, I'm afraid, my co-authors are scattered across the globe -- gotta love the Internet!)

    PLEASE be sure to reply to husted@apache.org.

If you have an interesting science fiction or computer science question that is hard, or at least fun, to google, please send it to me. The first to suggest a question that we use also wins!

-Ted.

    PLEASE be sure to reply to husted@apache.org.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,

Re: [FRIDAY] YA Stuts In Action / JUnit in Action Trivia Quiz

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Hi Ted,

it's not gone stale, the questions are just getting hard! The best bit
is waiting to see how long it will be before someone posts the answer to
the list! And then seeing what their reaction is once they realise what
they did!

Actually Brian Higdon's answer (to try to 'recall' his mail) was a bit
of a disappointment. Are you still out there Brian? Gotta have a
grovelling apology!

Actually I have more fun trying to find something that is a good Quiz
but hard to google, because generally I don't have a clue what the
answers to your quizzes are - at least for 15 minutes before someone
posts the answer. :)

Adam

On 02/07/2004 05:04 PM Ted Husted wrote:
> Last time, we asked contestants to name for a popular science fiction series that featured a psi cop named after a science fiction author
>
> 1 The series (Babylon 5)
>
> 2 The character (Alfred Bester)
>
> 3 The actor who played the character (Walter Koenig)
>
> 4 The character this actor played in another famous science fiction series (Chekov)
>
> *OR* to list the twelve core practices of Extreme Programming.
>
> ----
>
> Turn out was low for this contest, so either the questions were hard, or this bit is getting stale :)
>
> Anyway, last week's winner is:
>
> * MELISSA L KELLEY
>
> (Melissa, please send your surface mail address to husted@apache.org, and indicate whether you would like JUnit in Action or Struts in Action)
>
> ----
>
> NEXT:
>
> To play, correctly answer  -- directly to me at husted@apache.org -- one or both of these questions.
>
> In The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, a character used a jingle to help keep himself from being "scanned".
>
>   1 The first word of the chant is "Tenser". How does the rest of it go?
>
> In Dune by Frank Herbert, a character used a litany to help him through a time of stress.
>
>   2 The first word of the chant is "Fear". How does the rest of it go?
>
> *OR*
>
>   + Name your two favorite changes, improvements, or new additions to the Struts Nightly Build since 1.1 was released. Hint: <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/release-notes.html>. One more addition, currently in progress, is to add a "module" parameters to several tags to allow linking between modules. [Yes, 1.2.0 will be along shortly :)]
>
> ----
>
> Contestants sending -- directly to me at husted@apache.org -- correct answers to the to the bonus question *OR* the SF question to me will be eligible for the next drawing. (the correct answers being the ones I expect). Prior winners excluded (but feel free to play anyway).
>
> The contest will run until Thursday, January 15, 2004, 23:59:59, so everyone has a chance to participate.
>
> The lucky winner selected from the correct responses will receive their choice of either a signed copy of Struts in Action *OR* JUnit in Action.
>
> (Signed only by me, I'm afraid, my co-authors are scattered across the globe -- gotta love the Internet!)
>
>     PLEASE be sure to reply to husted@apache.org.
>
> If you have an interesting science fiction or computer science question that is hard, or at least fun, to google, please send it to me. The first to suggest a question that we use also wins!
>
> -Ted.
>
>     PLEASE be sure to reply to husted@apache.org.
>

> --
> Ted Husted,
>    Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,
>    Struts in Action - <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>,
>    JSP Site Design  - <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1861005512>.

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian

Re: [FRIDAY] YA Stuts In Action / JUnit in Action Trivia Quiz

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:04:10 -0600, Ted Husted wrote:
> The contest will run until Thursday, January 15, 2004, 23:59:59, so
> everyone has a chance to participate.

Oops, forgot to update the date. :)

The drawing will actually run until February 12, 2004, 23:59:59.

-Ted.