Posted to dev@helix.apache.org by Lei Xia <lx...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2015/07/28 02:00:43 UTC

Questions on Helix branches

Hi, Helix Developers

   Helix has currently two branches, 0.6.x and 0.7.  What is the major
differences between this two branches?  I could not find any documents to
describe this.  We are using 0.6.x now and considering whether we will need
to switch to 0.7.  Three questions we have are:

  1) What is the major differences (new features, API changes,
stabilization, or bug fixes) between 0.7 and 0.6.x branches?
  2) I saw that Helix-0.7.1 is still marked as a beta version, does that
mean it is not recommended version?  do you have any plan to build a stable
version out of 0.7 branch?
  3) Are you going to keep developing new features and fix bugs on both
branches, or only on 0.7 branch?

   Thanks, your suggestions will be appreciated!

Best
Lei

--

*Lei Xia *Software Engineer
Distributed Data Systems

Re: Questions on Helix branches

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.
Hi Lei,

0.7 was our attempt to improve Helix Apis. Its marked as beta because we
haven't spent enough time testing it in large scale production. Biggest
deployment of Helix is at LinkedIn and it still runs on 0.6.x. This is the
reason we have marked 0.7.x as beta. But We know few companies running 0.7
in production. Most of the critical bug fixes have been made in both 0.6
and 0.7.

Our goal is to stop development on 0.6 and move to development to 0.7 which
has better apis.

Regarding differences between 0.6 and and 0.7, I think only 0.7 has yarn
integration.