Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lo...@log-net.com on 2006/03/14 18:46:06 UTC

Re: word wrapping

I am trying to use this to handle my table cell text overflows, but it
does not seem to work in my implementation.  I am using fop 0.91 (not
trunk) and I get many warnings of the following type:

12:36:09,657 WARN  [BreakingAlgorithm] Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the
available area. (fo:block, "Very Long Text Here")

My code basically looks like:

<fo:table-cell>
        <fo:block overflow="hidden" wrap-option="no-wrap">
                <xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
        </fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>

Tell me I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Lou

Re: word wrapping

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I guess I should add something to this. The overflow property is one of
those oddities in the spec IMO. If you strictly follow the listing of
applicable properties on each element, the overflow does not apply to
fo:block or fo:table-cell. That contradicts a little with the "Applies
to: block-level and replaced elements" comment coming from CSS. Note
that this comment has been removed in XSL 1.1. The overflow property IS
implemented for block-container, region-*, external-graphic and
instream-foreign-object, i.e. for all viewport areas.

To clip the contents of a table-cell, you currently need to place a
block-container in a table-cell and set its extents to 100% each and
overflow="hidden" there.

On 14.03.2006 23:44:44 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> > but... overflow="hidden" does not work --seems like either our
> > compliance page needs to be updated, or this feature was implemented at
> > some point, but has been broken again :(
>

> AFAIK there is no functionality for overflow='hidden' yet.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: word wrapping

Posted by Daniel Appelt <da...@gmail.com>.
If the text overflows into an adjacent table-column a solution would be to
set an explicit background-color on that column or on the adjacent cells.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: word wrapping

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> but... overflow="hidden" does not work --seems like either our
> compliance page needs to be updated, or this feature was implemented at
> some point, but has been broken again :(

AFAIK there is no functionality for overflow='hidden' yet.

J.Pietschmann

Re: word wrapping

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 14, 2006, at 18:46, Louis.Masters@log-net.com wrote:

Hi Lou,

> I am trying to use this to handle my table cell text overflows, but
> it does not seem to work in my implementation.  I am using fop 0.91
> (not trunk) and I get many warnings of the following type:
>
> 12:36:09,657 WARN  [BreakingAlgorithm] Line 1 of a paragraph
> overflows the available area. (fo:block, "Very Long Text Here")

Seems like either this wasn't yet in the codebase at the moment the
0.91 distro was packaged, or there are some other properties
influencing the picture here...

Anyway, I tried it with FOP Trunk, and received no error messages,