Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2003/05/16 01:53:47 UTC

[patch[ VPATH builds and *huge* compile lines

When I hit the wall a while ago with -Defines and the rest exceeding the
shell's line length, I stopped to look at our vpaths.

Several of the include search paths we include for vpath builds are totally
unnecessary, since we don't actually reprocess header files for many of
our modules.

Attached is a patch for configure.in that shortens the list to paths, in
the local build or vpath source trees, that actually contain .h files :-)

Since I don't claim to be the unix guru, it would be great if someone
more qualified would adopt this patch.  It is against 2.0.45, btw.

Bill

Re: [patch[ VPATH builds and *huge* compile lines

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, May 15, 2003 6:53 PM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Several of the include search paths we include for vpath builds are totally
> unnecessary, since we don't actually reprocess header files for many of
> our modules.

Yeah, seems we've been a bit too aggressive on which paths to add with
builddir variations.  Some of them shouldn't be autoconf'd.  We'll just have
to add them back if we end up substituting variables in them (but geesh, we
shouldn't).

> Since I don't claim to be the unix guru, it would be great if someone
> more qualified would adopt this patch.  It is against 2.0.45, btw.

Looks conceptually right here.  Commit it to HEAD, and the next time I build
(if no one else tries it before me), if it breaks, you'll know.  =)  -- justin