Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@hotmail.com> on 2015/04/06 18:56:20 UTC

unsubscribe

Subject: Re: Hadoop 2.6 issue
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
From: rapentak@in.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 09:02:09 +0530

Please un subscribe me from this list.

Regards,

Ravi Prasad Pentakota

India Software Lab, IBM Software Group

Phone: +9180-43328520  Mobile: 919620959477

e-mail:rapentak@in.ibm.com

Kumar Jayapal ---04/02/2015 07:50:05 AM---$which java make sure the paths are valid for your installation (change if using 32bit

From:	Kumar Jayapal <kj...@gmail.com>

To:	user@hadoop.apache.org

Cc:	Anand Murali <an...@yahoo.com>

Date:	04/02/2015 07:50 AM

Subject:	Re: Hadoop 2.6 issue

$which java

make sure the paths are valid for your installation (change if using 32bit version):

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
Setup update-alternatives:

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java" 1

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac" 1

sudo update-alternatives --set java /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

sudo update-alternatives --set javac /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac

Alternatively, make sure the correct version is checked for both Java and compiler:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

sudo update-alternatives --config javac

List the installed Java alternatives with:

sudo update-alternatives --list java

sudo update-alternatives --list javac

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Creating batch program will not have the same effect. If you put the variables in /etc/environment then it will be available to all users on the operating system. HDFS doesn't run with root privileges.

You need to open the application with sudo or with root privileges to modify it.

e.g. If you are using vi editor then its just sudo vim /etc/environment (similar, if you are using other editors) and add environment variables there.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Anand Murali <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mr. Ravindra:

This is visible, however I am unable to modify it, eventhough I have admin priveleges. I am new to the Linux environment. Shall be glad if you did advise. However, as I told you earlier, I have created a batch program which contains, JAVA_HOME setting, HADOOP_INSTALL setting and PATH setting. I have rfun this file but I am still unable to start the daemons. I am following Tom Whyte's -Hadoop definitive Guide book instructions on how to install Hadoop.

at $hadoop version works. I am able to format namenode, but fail to start daemons.

Reply most welcome.

Thanks

Anand Murali

11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore

Chennai - 600 004, India

Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:04 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you sure that its not there, could you please check the output of this command

ls /etc/env*

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Anand Murali <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mr. Ravindra:

I am using Ubuntu 14. Can you please provide the full path. I am logged in as root and it is not found in /etc. In any case what you have suggested I have tried creating a batch file and it does not work in my installation.

Thanks

Anand Murali

11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore

Chennai - 600 004, India

Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:50 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

I meant /etc/environment. It should be present if you are using Ubuntu.

Regards,

Ravindra

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Anand Murali <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mr. Ravindra

I dont find any etc/environment. Can you be more specific please. I have done whatever you are saying in a user created batch program and run it, followed by running hadoop-env.sh and it still does not work.

Thanks

Anand Murali

11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore

Chennai - 600 004, India

Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:10 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

If you are using Ubuntu then add these lines to /etc/environment

JAVA_HOME=<actual path to jdk>

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:$JAVA_HOME/bin"

Please put the actual path to JDK in the first line.

Regards,

Ravindra

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM, roland.depratti <ro...@cox.net> wrote:
Anand,

Sorry about that, I was assuming Redhat/Centos.

For Ubuntu, try sudo update-alternatives --config java.