Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/05 11:19:51 UTC

Java '0.32' snapshot builds problem

Hi everyone,

I noticed yesterday that the latest '0.32-SNAPSHOT' java builds
weren't in fact for 0.32 at all, but rather from trunk instead. The
reason being that trunk is still versioned 0.32-SNAPSHOT despite the
recent branching, so the nightly job has been publishing those instead
of the next version.

I created a new job to publish actual 0.32 snapshots starting yesterday:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release-0.32/

I have disabled the trunk until trunk is updated with the next verison
number: https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release/

Robbie

Re: Java '0.32' snapshot builds problem

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
> > Related note: I am not generating the java binaries for the distribution.
> > My release tool produces source distributions, and the old release.sh was
> > never updated for maven.
>
> What happened for 0.30, that used the maven build?

For 0.30, I generated the binaries manually.

> I didnt think you were using release.sh anymore. Are you? Should we
> just delete it if not?

I'd love to delete it.  I'll go ahead if no one objects.

Re: Java '0.32' snapshot builds problem

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5 March 2015 at 19:53, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I noticed yesterday that the latest '0.32-SNAPSHOT' java builds
>> weren't in fact for 0.32 at all, but rather from trunk instead. The
>> reason being that trunk is still versioned 0.32-SNAPSHOT despite the
>> recent branching, so the nightly job has been publishing those instead
>> of the next version.
>>

> Urgh, I didn't anticipate that.  I left the trunk versions unchanged
> because I wasn't sure what versions to change them too.  I think you've
> addressed this problem well enough in the short term, but if anyone would
> prefer it, I can use 0.33 as a placeholder release and update the versions
> on trunk.

I'd prefer we identify what the next version is and use that,
otherwise we will introduce stale artifacts and need infra to clean
them up later (they get cleaned up automatically when you release the
non-snapshot version).

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed yesterday that the latest '0.32-SNAPSHOT' java builds
> weren't in fact for 0.32 at all, but rather from trunk instead. The
> reason being that trunk is still versioned 0.32-SNAPSHOT despite the
> recent branching, so the nightly job has been publishing those instead
> of the next version.

Urgh, I didn't anticipate that.  I left the trunk versions unchanged
because I wasn't sure what versions to change them too.  I think you've
addressed this problem well enough in the short term, but if anyone would
prefer it, I can use 0.33 as a placeholder release and update the versions
on trunk.

> I created a new job to publish actual 0.32 snapshots starting yesterday:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release-0.32/
>
> I have disabled the trunk until trunk is updated with the next verison
> number:
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release/

Related note: I am not generating the java binaries for the distribution.
My release tool produces source distributions, and the old release.sh was
never updated for maven.  Mark Soderquist requested them at

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.