Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by gm...@cs.ucf.edu on 2011/05/02 16:55:33 UTC

Re: questions about hadoop map reduce and compute intensive related applications

> Integrating MPI with map-reduce is currently difficult and/or very ugly,
> however. Not impossible and there are hackish ways to do the job, but
> they are hacks.

There is an project out of Sandia National Lab that puts MR and MPI
together in a library if you're interested -->
http://www.sandia.gov/~sjplimp/mapreduce.html

The project isn't mature yet, and I haven't actually used it myself.

Grant Mackey
PhD student Computer Engineering
University of Central Florida

Re: questions about hadoop map reduce and compute intensive related applications

Posted by elton sky <el...@gmail.com>.
thanks gmackey,

There is an project out of Sandia National Lab that puts MR and MPI together
> in a library if you're interested -->
> http://www.sandia.gov/~sjplimp/mapreduce.html

That is a implementation of MR using MPI. I saw that as well but haven't
tried it out.

I am actually looking at programming model level integration. You know, for
some applications, you can take advantage of high through put from MR and
message passing from MPI.

-Elton