Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/03/02 22:02:57 UTC

Re: "Can't find DNS for domain" when domain does exist

JWM wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> I really appreciate your help in this ordeal.
>
> I copied your response to Register.  According them, RFCs are now simply
> 'suggestions'...  Is that true?  I thought they were already mandatory.

Hi JWM,

I just wrote a unittest for the current James trunk to test the scenario
  and it seems that James trunk already correctly resolve this mx server.

I'm not able to run the test against 2.2.0 right now.

Are you able to run a test using 2.3.0a1 or a recent nightly build?

Stefano

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
JWM wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> I am currently running 2.2.0a17.  I have no problem installing 2.3.0a1 and
> testing.  But can you tell me if I have to make changes to my config file in
> order to upgrade?  If so, is it massive?  I seem to remember that I had
> significant amount of changes required when I moved up to where I am now.
> I'd love to move up and test it (and hopefully solve the problem).  But I
> don't have the bandwidth to do a major migration.  Will everything still
> work as-is on the new version?

There are many changes in configuration files:
http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesV2

2.3.0a1 is ALPHA code so it is not stable: you probably want to test it
only to tell us wether the problem is solved or not so it will be
included in the next stable release.

The good news is that James 2.3-x is fully storage compatible with 2.2.0
so, to move from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0 and back you only need to change the xml
files and the phoenix distribution but you can keep the same identical
db / file store.

So, don't put 2.3.0a1 in production right now, but you probably want to
test it and let us know if the dns problem is solved and if the
2.2.0-2.3.0 upgrade path seems to be easy or if you find any problem
working on it.

You 2.2.0a17 is a "standard" distribution or have you added any
matcher/mailet/custom code to it?

Stefano

RE: "Can't find DNS for domain" when domain does exist

Posted by JWM <te...@malcolms.com>.
Stefano,

I am currently running 2.2.0a17.  I have no problem installing 2.3.0a1 and
testing.  But can you tell me if I have to make changes to my config file in
order to upgrade?  If so, is it massive?  I seem to remember that I had
significant amount of changes required when I moved up to where I am now.
I'd love to move up and test it (and hopefully solve the problem).  But I
don't have the bandwidth to do a major migration.  Will everything still
work as-is on the new version?

Thx for continuing to pursue this.

JWM