Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> on 2007/09/19 14:23:12 UTC

Interoperable SCA conversations over Web services

I just came across the following in the SCA Web Service binding spec:

227 2.2.3 Example PolicySet Providing The Conversation Intent

228 This policy set applies to binding.ws and provides the conversation intent. The conversation
229 intent is provided by using WS-ReliableMessaging protocol which has a concept of a Sequence.
230 This Sequence (which appears as a wsrm:Sequence SOAP header in the message) is used as a
231 correlation mechanism, on the wire, to implement conversational semantics.

232 <policySet name="WSRM-Sequence-based-conversation"
233 provides="sca:conversation"
234 appliesTo="sca:binding.ws">
235 <wsp:Policy>
236 <wsrmp:RMAssertion
237 xmlns:wsrmp="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/wsrmp/200608"/>
238 </wsp:Policy>
239 </policySet>

It seems that we will need to do some more work in the Web Service
binding to implement this.  The WS-RM protocol looks quite complicated,
much more so than WS-Addressing.  I'm not sure yet what the minimal
subset would be to support SCA conversational semantics.

There's nothing in the Web Service binding spec about callbacks.
I have sent a note to the OASIS Bindings TC mailing list requesting
that the Bindings TC consider adding an interoperable protocol for
callbacks to the Web Service binding specification.

   Simon