Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Bhavin Thaker <bh...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/03 19:48:48 UTC

Suggestions on how to increase community involvement on Apache MXNet incubating?

Hi Team,

Do you have any suggestions on how to increase community involvement and
contributions including code additions/changes, bug-fixes/enhancements,
documentation updates, tutorials, increased adoption, answering questions
on Stackoverflow/discuss.mxnet.io, etc.?

While I have asked multiple questions in the one question above, I am
looking for more ideas or thoughts.

Cheers,
Bhavin Thaker.

Re: Suggestions on how to increase community involvement on Apache MXNet incubating?

Posted by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com>.
As mentioned by others, it is very important for the community to know what
is happening, roadmap, low hanging bug fix or feature development.
Along with that, it is hard and time-consuming to get a basic high-level
understanding of various components, architecture and packages of MXNet.

My 2 cent suggestion - Most scalable and useful way of achieving above
objective would be a "set of video lectures on Youtube". We can have couple
of videos to cover topics such as - Introduction to MXNet Architecture and
components, Setting up MXNet on Mac with CLion or PyCharm for Python, Code
walkthrough with usecase - For example: Operator end to end debug trace
walk through.

These videos can be used as resources for developers to play, follow and
get things up and running.

Videos are not a replacement for presence in university lectures,
presentations at conferences. However, videos can be scalable way of
achieving the purpose of getting many people to setup and start seeing code
of MXNet.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sandeep

--
Sandeep Krishnamurthy

Re: Suggestions on how to increase community involvement on Apache MXNet incubating?

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Markus,

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zemerick <jz...@apache.org>.
As a very fresh newcomer it is a bit unclear to me what communication
channels should be used for dev/user conversations. For instance, this
email address is not listed on the MXNet Community [1] page. I found the
email address on the Development Discussion [2] page through a Google
search (maybe I missed the link?). This email address and the Slack channel
seem to be low traffic. User discussions appear to be on
https://discuss.mxnet.io/. When I joined I expected to see more traffic on
this dev@ list.

Jeff

[1] https://mxnet.apache.org/community/index.html