Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com> on 2002/04/22 06:21:34 UTC

Using JSTL with Resin 2.0.5 and Tomcat 4.0.3

So I have two puzzles now.

I've been using JSTL (Beta 2) with Resin 2.0.5. Things seem to work in
general. I just copied all the jar files into my WEB-INF/lib, wrote some
JSP, and it worked. Until, that is, I tried <c:forEach>. It doesn't seem to
matter what flavour of collection I pass in 'items', it only ever gives me
the first item. I figured this might be a problem with Resin, so...

I tried running the same web app under Tomcat 4.0.3. Same directory
structure - I just copied the whole thing over from Resin. But I don't even
get off the ground with Tomcat. At the first access to a page, I get the
following exception message from Jasper:

"This absolute uri (http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in
either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application"

Now, I don't have anything in my web.xml (I didn't even have one,
initially), but I know for a fact that the JSTL TLD files are in
standard.jar, which is in my WEB-INF/lib. Tomcat (or rather, Jasper) doesn't
seem to be able to find them.

Anyone have any bright ideas on how I can get one or other (and preferably
both) of these containers to play ball with JSTL?

Thanks!

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Using JSTL with Resin 2.0.5 and Tomcat 4.0.3

Posted by Ryan Lubke <Ry...@Sun.COM>.
Yes this is a bug in 4.0.3 (6400 I think). The workaround is to create a
directory called 'temp' in CATALINA_HOME

   mkdir $CATALINA_HOME/temp.

-rl

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.
Shawn,

Thanks! You're right on both counts. I've upgraded to Resin 2.1.0 and Tomcat
4.0.4-b2, and they're both working just fine.

--
Martin Cooper

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>