Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1999/06/29 18:03:00 UTC

#PR 3760 - still some question... (fwd)

not ack'd.  Maybe one of you protocol cops wants to weigh in on this.

Dean

Date: 25 Jan 1999 13:49:04 -0000
From: Rainer Scherg <Ra...@rexroth.de>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: MultiViews brings "Not Acceptable"

>Number:         3760
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       MultiViews brings "Not Acceptable"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
1. MultiViews is a great feature of apache!
2. but there is a small problem..

The problem in short description:

 - server has multiviews switched on (an it's working fine)
 - a directory has e.g. two files:
        doc.htm.de
        doc.htm.en

 - Server config is set as follows:
    AddLanguage de .de
    AddLanguage en .en
    ... etc.
    LanguagePriority de en fr se

- requesting "doc.htm" returns:
>How-To-Repeat:
Replace Accept-Language in Browser by one rarely used language...

>Fix:

>Audit-Trail:
State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: dgaudet
State-Changed-When: Tue Apr 20 20:45:45 PDT 1999
State-Changed-Why:
That's how the HTTP protocol works.  See RFC2068 for a description
of Accept-Language.  Essentially, the user specifying
had said "Accept-Language: af, *" then it would mean they
read and prefer af, but will take anything in a pinch.

We can't provide an option to override this -- that would
violate the protocol.

Dean
>Unformatted:
>>Not Acceptable
>>An appropriate representation of the requested resource doc.htm could not be found on this server.
>>Available variants:
>>     doc.htm.de , type text/html, language de
>>     doc.htm.en , type text/html, language en

Important:
 This Message will only be returned, if the Accept-Language-Header
 sent by the browser doesn't contain any known Add-Type language
 There is no Accept-Lang-Header info apache returns the docs acording to
 the LangPriotity.

 e.g. Accept: en,de       ==> works fine returns "en"
      Accept: <empty>     ==> according LangPriority
      Accept: "af"        ==> Yek! Not Acceptable Error

If this ("Not Acceptable") is a feature, there should be a switch, to
prefere LanguagePriority in any case - instead of sending a "Not
Acceptable".

-- cu Rainer