Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "dave.parker" <da...@inforonics.com> on 2000/03/16 00:35:18 UTC

Problem loading mod_jserv.so

Hi,
I am trying to get Tomcat to run with Apache and I am having problems.
I can get Tomcat built OK, and it seems to run fine.
I loaded the binary distribution of Apache 1.3.9 as suggested in your
Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO file.  It also works fine.
When I try to load mod_jserv.so (downloaded from your site), I get the
error:

bash-2.03# ./bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 13 of /dp1/jakarta/build/tomcat/etc/tomcat.conf:
Can't locate API module structure `jserv_module' in file
/usr/local/iapache200003_v1/libexec/mod_jserv.so: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/iapache200003_v1/bin/httpd: fatal: jserv_module: can't find
symbol
./bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
bash-2.03#

I tried this on both Solaris 7 and Solaris 2.6.  I am now trying it on Linux
but really
need to get it working on Solaris.

I noticed that the mod_jserv.so file looked just like the other modules in
libexec, except that
it is a stripped file and the others are not stripped.  I don't know what
that means really, but I
thought I would pass it along.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
dp

Re: Problem loading mod_jserv.so

Posted by Gal Shachor <sh...@il.ibm.com>.
 Try to compile mod_jserv.so on your machine (you will need to compile
it
for your Solaris anyway).

To build mod_jserv all you need to do is to go to
jakarta-tomcat/src/native/apache/jserv

and build a new .so file with the following  command line
apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so
apxs is located under your apache distribution bin directory...

	Gal Shachor

Posted by Kjartan Mikkelsen <Kj...@fast.no>.

> From: dave.parker [mailto:dave.parker@inforonics.com]
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to get Tomcat to run with Apache and I am having problems.
> I can get Tomcat built OK, and it seems to run fine.
> I loaded the binary distribution of Apache 1.3.9 as suggested in your
> Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO file.  It also works fine.
> When I try to load mod_jserv.so (downloaded from your site), I get the
> error:
>
> bash-2.03# ./bin/apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 13 of /dp1/jakarta/build/tomcat/etc/tomcat.conf:
> Can't locate API module structure `jserv_module' in file
> /usr/local/iapache200003_v1/libexec/mod_jserv.so: ld.so.1:
> /usr/local/iapache200003_v1/bin/httpd: fatal: jserv_module: can't find
> symbol
> ./bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> bash-2.03#
>
> I tried this on both Solaris 7 and Solaris 2.6.  I am now trying
> it on Linux
> but really
> need to get it working on Solaris.

I had a similar problem on Solaris 7. I used apache 1.3.12.
I tried to compiled apache with:
./configure --enable-module=so --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE
make
make install

Then it worked fine. I got a reply here that said
that --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE should
not be nessecary, so there may be another solution.
But it worked for me. Try it.

Kjartan