Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Lance Dolan <la...@edlio.com> on 2017/01/05 23:30:44 UTC

FileVault for import and export of JCR?

Hello,

I'm a former CQ/AEM developer and architect. I'm evaluating the prospect of
using Sling+Oak as the basis for a brand new WCM I'll build from scratch.
Purchasing AEM is not an interest as we're looking to build something
different.

I have a list of features which Day/Adobe solved with the CRX product,
which are not available for me with the raw Sling product. I need to solve
every one of those features myself if I'm going to use Sling.

Of those features, the one I'm hung up on right now is repository
import/export. I've done this easily with CRX packages in the past, which
are apparently using the File Vault api under the hood to map XML-to-repo
and repo-to-XML.

So now I need help. Without CRX, how can I accomplish repo import/export?

I might be willing to re-write something like the CRX package manager
myself from scratch... I think. But obviously, I could save myself
some *serious
*time if there's an existing import/export solution. I'm sure I'm missing
something - there's gotta be a slick way.

I'd like to just resftully POST a package to Sling as I did with CRX, but
if that's not an option, is the vlt command line tool my only option? If
the command line tool is what I must use... how do I install it? There are
no instructions at [1]. I have successfully built the filevault project
from source, but the target directory doesn't yield a jar file with a
"main" method declared in the manifest, so I don't know how to use that at
the command line.

Also, I have already seen the data import documentation at [2] and I
believe it's not a valid repo import/export option.

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/filevault
[2]
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/manipulating-content-the-slingpostservlet-servlets-post.html#importing-content-structures

--
Lance Dolan
Software Developer

Re: FileVault for import and export of JCR?

Posted by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com>.
The only way I know of to export data from Jackrabbit is by
session.exportSystemView and session.exportDocumentView, so I think if you
want to further filter the output XML you'll have to probably use an XML
parser (SAX/DOM) to filter out the parts you don't need, but AFTER the JCR
exports the XML to a file/stream. However i've never used filevault or
composium, so i don't know specifically what that entails.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Posted by lancedolan <la...@gmail.com>.
For posterity - I am a Sling User and Composum Package Manager was the right
solution.

Thank you all

Re: FileVault for import and export of JCR?

Posted by Roy Teeuwen <ro...@teeuwen.be>.
Hey Lance,

Seeing as you are going to use Sling, have you looked at Composum[1]? It has all the features you need from CRX, it makes packages, it has a repository browser,...
It has MIT License and will even be included from the upcoming release of Sling, version 9, on.

Greets,
Roy

[1] https://github.com/ist-dresden/composum <https://github.com/ist-dresden/composum>

Posted by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com>.
I guess you already know about these...

session.exportSystemView();
session.exportDocumentView();

They give you XML that you can easily import later. It doesn't require CRX
but only requires the freely available JCR Open source code. I can point
you to examples of code if this is helpful, but as a former AEM dev you may
already know all this, and i'm maybe just not understanding what you're
looking for. Let me know.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Have a look at JCRVLT-151 where such an API is being worked upon
Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by Lance Dolan <la...@edlio.com>.
UPDATE:

--