Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by WhitestarB5 <ri...@holidaylettings.co.uk> on 2014/01/06 18:09:02 UTC

'Stuck' Messages on queue

We have a queue which contains Json Messages. They do not tend to be large
messages.
We are experiencing an odd behaviour where messages will only be consumed
very slowly and fitfully.

The messages that are consumed are not always those at the top of the queue.
The 'stuck' messages are however gradually consumed.

The messages themselves are valid the only unusual aspect of these 'stuck'
messages is the broker path.

This is a repeated string which is far longer then normal. The DNS is valid
internally.

Broker Path:
mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl,mqueue01.hl1.hl

ActiveMQ 5.7.0

Does anyone have any thought on what might be happening?

Many thanks

Richard

Re: 'Stuck' Messages on queue

Posted by WhitestarB5 <ri...@holidaylettings.co.uk>.
That would make sense, there is only on instance involved. The consumer is a
bit suspect so we will focus on why that is disconnecting.

Re: 'Stuck' Messages on queue

Posted by Torsten Mielke <tm...@redhat.com>.
Hello,

Interestingly the brokerPath only contains the same broker name mqueue01.hl1.hl.
Are you using a broker network? If yes do all broker instances in your network have a unique broker name assigned?

If all broker names are unique or if you don’t use broker networks then this brokerPath might indicate that the message got prefetched to a consumer but the consumer disconnected before it consumed (and acked) the message.
By default ActiveMQ will prefetch up to 1000 queue msgs to a consumer. If the consumer disconnects after consuming just a few of them then I *believe* this would update the brokerPath as well.

Regards,

Torsten Mielke
tmielke@redhat.com
tmielke.blogspot.com