Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/09/06 13:06:24 UTC

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

What do others think?

IMO 22 is not the best place to invest resources. I support nigel's suggestion of abandoning it, but people are free to work on what they are passionate about.

E14

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
There is some confusion, here.

Nigel is the RM for the current 0.22 branch. If he abandons it then
that branch is done, but nobody has a lock on the next release. Any
committer can manage a branch, package its contents, and propose an
artifact. If it receives a majority of votes from the PMC, then it
becomes 0.22. Whether it's derived from the current 0.22 branch is up
to that RM.

Anyone keen to see a particular release must do the work to effect it.
We don't assign work by voting.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM,  <Mi...@emc.com> wrote:
> AKAIK, the bylaws do not mention anything about "abandoning release". If
> past is any indication, even if releases 0.19.*, and 0.21.* were not
> adopted by large hadoop installations, these releases were cut, voted on,
> and approved. Not "abandoned".

To your point, a branch targeted as 0.21 was abandoned, despite months
of backporting changes from trunk. A branch containing subsequent work
was released instead. Whether the current 0.23 branch is released as
0.22 will depend exclusively on their respective effort and support.

Though you're right: this probably should be written into the bylaws,
even if any contrary model is illusory in practice. -C

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Using real data helps - from Apache Jira, here are the statistics for work on trunk/hadoop-0.23 in Q3 of 2011 (i.e. last 2 months alone):
>
> Hadoop Common - 224 resolved* jiras
> Hadoop HDFS - 153 resolved* jiras
> Hadoop MapReduce - 161* resolved jiras
>
> Total of 538 jiras resolved. I'm sure LOC is much more impressive, but be that as it may.

	I wonder about the usefulness of those stats though.  Many of those jiras are bug fixes to other jiras committed in the same time frame and also committed to other branches.  Also, I've noticed an absolutely explosion of sub-tasks where one big patch is actually done at commit time.

> So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there is significant interest, involvement & investment from the wider community. That makes me believe that Apache Hadoop is moving along the right path i.e. forward.

	Part of the problem that the Hadoop community has is a PMC and committer group that leans heavily towards a few organizations.  Any movement that those organizations do offsets what the rest of the community may or may not want to do.  The reality is that if anyone who isn't HortonWorks or Cloudera wants to do a release, it is likely doomed at PMC vote time.

	[I'll hold off on commenting on the effectiveness of our current PMC member roster.  That's a different discussion altogether.]

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Konstantin,

On Sep 7, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

>  I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.

Using real data helps - from Apache Jira, here are the statistics for work on trunk/hadoop-0.23 in Q3 of 2011 (i.e. last 2 months alone):

Hadoop Common - 224 resolved* jiras
Hadoop HDFS - 153 resolved* jiras
Hadoop MapReduce - 161* resolved jiras

Total of 538 jiras resolved. I'm sure LOC is much more impressive, but be that as it may.

OTOH, I've haven't run reports (can't figure), but a cursory glance of CHANGES.txt shows hadoop-0.20.2xx has < 50, while 0.22 has ~10.

So, I'd say it's pretty clear that there is significant interest, involvement & investment from the wider community. That makes me believe that Apache Hadoop is moving along the right path i.e. forward.

thanks,
Arun

* I'm aware that 80% of stats are only 80% right *smile* - these are 'resolved' jiras. It's fair to assume vast majority of the jiras were actually 'fixed'.

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
The other reason for a 0.22 release is Apache Bigtop only plans to
release full stacks of released ASF code, and a lot of the things in the
ASF Hadoop ecosystem do need the 0.21+ APIs (MRUnit, flume). A 0.22
release is something that bigtop could get behind.

-steve

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:21PM, Chris Douglas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > The release manager - not the developers - are responsible for and
> > have the final say as to what patches get merge to their branch. ═If
> > the RM wants all this work they need to either corral the developers
> > to do the merging or do the merging themselves. In short, it's their
> > responsibility to get people to invest in the branch.
>
> This.
>
> The rest of this thread is pointless. -C

Then I musta've been imagining things ;\

Cos

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
> I benchmarked 22 v/s 20.xxx there was >5x difference and that was more than a year ago.

Arun do you mind sharing the benchmarks that you ran?

Thanks,
--Konstatnin

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Joep,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 06:17PM, Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com wrote:
> Never mind. It was an oblique reference to client not writing to a file
> for a long time, so hdfs recovering the lease. (RM=client, release=file,
> recovery=transferring RM role. :-)

Very clever ;) I don't think there's a competition. There's room for more, I
am sure!

Cos

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 05:55PM, Milind.Bhandarkar@emc.com wrote:
>> But did he do the lease recovery (for more info: HDFS-265) ? I haven seen
>> the initiation of lease recovery by Konst, but haven't seen acks.
>
> I am not sure I follow you, Milind. HDFS_265 has been in since 0.21. Are you
> referring to some new development that I might've missed?

Milind is saying that Konst volunteered but Nigel hasn't taken him up on it yet.

According to Roy any committer can RM so there's no lease to recover.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> For completeness, Chris proposed a while back [1] that the RM is
>> selected by majority PMC approval. He never proposed a vote to adopt
>> these rules, but if we did, would they be invalid, ie according to
>> other rules established at Apache?  Ie does this project have the
>> ability to establish it's own rules/norms w/o you telling us how our
>> project works?
>>
>> 1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> The intent was to evolve the policies we had at the time to an RM-like
> role. As Tom raised in that thread, much of the intermediate phase is
> unnecessary. In the project's current state, much of that proposal is
> no longer coherent.
>
> For instance, electing an RM is an unnecessary formality. Further,
> enforcing the version compatibility rules across the 0.20.2xx and
> various 0.2x branches is prohibitively expensive. As demonstrated by
> previous experience, making prohibitively expensive rules motivates
> external forks, not coherence. They're useful guidelines for what the
> PMC is likely to approve, but I expect we'll show more flexibility
> than what that proposal outlined.
>
> In practice, we already exercise all the important elements of that
> proposal. Someone creates a branch and intends to release from it,
> others may help them, and if an artifact is produced then the PMC
> votes on whether to release it. Any debate, accusation, and
> recrimination concerning "investing" in a branch is pointless because
> the "result" of the debate is irrelevant. Other than venting some
> spleen, this thread has no functional consequence.
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>>> No RM has the final say on anything other than their own work.
>
> That's consistent with the position as forwarded. We're using "the
> RM's branch" as a shorthand for "whatever the RM has elected to
> include." Your comments highlight nuance, not fundamental dissonance.
>
>> I think there's a huge gap between the current understanding of the RM
>> in our community and what you've outlined.
>
> It's vanishingly small, but important. Ownership of a branch isn't
> vested in an RM, neither is it transferrable. If someone wanted to
> commit something to a branch, they aren't required to ask the RM. Now,
> it's *polite*, and I hope that most would give a heads-up for anything
> they were unsure of, but the repository isn't a hierarchy of
> dictatorships. The source tree is lock-free. -C

I think the main point is that RMs correspond to releases, not a
release branch. This distinction makes more sense, eg I think it would
be good to have a set of people RM the dot releases off a given branch
instead of an RM for a branch and a series of releases from it (what
it seems like we've been doing).

Thanks,
Eli

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Chris,

Well put, +1.

Cheers,
Chris

On Sep 9, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Chris Douglas wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> For completeness, Chris proposed a while back [1] that the RM is
>> selected by majority PMC approval. He never proposed a vote to adopt
>> these rules, but if we did, would they be invalid, ie according to
>> other rules established at Apache?  Ie does this project have the
>> ability to establish it's own rules/norms w/o you telling us how our
>> project works?
>>
>> 1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> The intent was to evolve the policies we had at the time to an RM-like
> role. As Tom raised in that thread, much of the intermediate phase is
> unnecessary. In the project's current state, much of that proposal is
> no longer coherent.
>
> For instance, electing an RM is an unnecessary formality. Further,
> enforcing the version compatibility rules across the 0.20.2xx and
> various 0.2x branches is prohibitively expensive. As demonstrated by
> previous experience, making prohibitively expensive rules motivates
> external forks, not coherence. They're useful guidelines for what the
> PMC is likely to approve, but I expect we'll show more flexibility
> than what that proposal outlined.
>
> In practice, we already exercise all the important elements of that
> proposal. Someone creates a branch and intends to release from it,
> others may help them, and if an artifact is produced then the PMC
> votes on whether to release it. Any debate, accusation, and
> recrimination concerning "investing" in a branch is pointless because
> the "result" of the debate is irrelevant. Other than venting some
> spleen, this thread has no functional consequence.
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>>> No RM has the final say on anything other than their own work.
>
> That's consistent with the position as forwarded. We're using "the
> RM's branch" as a shorthand for "whatever the RM has elected to
> include." Your comments highlight nuance, not fundamental dissonance.
>
>> I think there's a huge gap between the current understanding of the RM
>> in our community and what you've outlined.
>
> It's vanishingly small, but important. Ownership of a branch isn't
> vested in an RM, neither is it transferrable. If someone wanted to
> commit something to a branch, they aren't required to ask the RM. Now,
> it's *polite*, and I hope that most would give a heads-up for anything
> they were unsure of, but the repository isn't a hierarchy of
> dictatorships. The source tree is lock-free. -C

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Sep 9, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>> The release manager - not the developers - are responsible for and
>>> have the final say as to what patches get merge to their branch.
>>
>> That is simply false.  At no time is any individual responsible for
>> any part of Apache subversion, no matter how obscure the branch.
>
> This seems to contradict the Apache release policy
> (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html), and the practice adopted
> by this project. Eg "Regarding what makes it into a release, the RM is
> the unquestioned authority.  No one can contest what makes it into the
> release."

I think someone got carried away in their artistic flair.  I wrote the
original httpd guidelines.

> If there is no individual responsible for a release branch then who is
> "the RM" that is the unquestioned authority for a release?
>
> The page states that "there is no set RM" however in our project
> Nigel, Arun, and Matt volunteered to RM 22, 23 and 20x respectively.

Volunteers are always needed.  That doesn't mean they are the only
volunteers, nor does it mean they have special veto powers.

> Are these people in fact not responsible for their release branches in
> svn, eg any committer is free to merge a patch from trunk into one of
> these branches?

Any committer can commit wherever they have been given permission
to commit by the PMC.  Generally, they do so collaboratively.
I've never encountered a situation in my own projects which developers
were committing at cross-purposes, even when they disagree on content,
though I've seen commit wars elsewhere.  We'd expect the PMC
to step in if they did.

The only thing the RM has authority over is the building of a source
package, based on the contents of our subversion, that can then be
put up for vote.  They can decide what snapshot to tag for a build.
They can decide not to build anything at all.  They can also do all sorts
of organizational support, advocacy, pleading, or whatever in order to
encourage the rest of the project committers to apply changes, vote
for things under issue, etc.

They do not have the right to pick and select whatever variation
of the product they might like to build, short of vetoing (with a
valid reason) any changes that they as a PMC member believe do not
belong on the branch. Likewise, the RM cannot include in the build
any change that has been vetoed by others, and their build cannot
be released if it contains any such changes that have been vetoed
since it was built.  The RM has the right to kill their own build
if they learn something during the release process that they think,
for whatever reason, causes the build to be unreleasable.  But the
RM can't stop anyone else on the PMC from taking the same build
and calling for its release under their own management as RM.

> For completeness, Chris proposed a while back [1] that the RM is
> selected by majority PMC approval. He never proposed a vote to adopt
> these rules, but if we did, would they be invalid, ie according to
> other rules established at Apache?  Ie does this project have the
> ability to establish it's own rules/norms w/o you telling us how our
> project works?
>
> 1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E

The ASF supports collaborative development of open source through
the work of individual volunteers.  If the rules are consistent with
that mission and are applied consistently, then the board is unlikely
to intervene.

As a board member, what I look for is the effect that those rules
have on collaboration.  If I see a bunch of happy developers
collaborating on releases, it really doesn't matter what the rules
are since the rules exist to prevent technical disagreements from
escalating into social conflicts.  If, however, I see no significant
releases, work being done elsewhere, or the project split into
multiple branches that happen to match corporate fiefdoms, then
it is my responsibility to do something to get it back to being
a collaboration.  Sometimes that means we change the rules.

....Roy

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> The release manager - not the developers - are responsible for and
>> have the final say as to what patches get merge to their branch.
>
> That is simply false.  At no time is any individual responsible for
> any part of Apache subversion, no matter how obscure the branch.

This seems to contradict the Apache release policy
(http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html), and the practice adopted
by this project. Eg "Regarding what makes it into a release, the RM is
the unquestioned authority.  No one can contest what makes it into the
release."

If there is no individual responsible for a release branch then who is
"the RM" that is the unquestioned authority for a release?

The page states that "there is no set RM" however in our project
Nigel, Arun, and Matt volunteered to RM 22, 23 and 20x respectively.
Are these people in fact not responsible for their release branches in
svn, eg any committer is free to merge a patch from trunk into one of
these branches?

For completeness, Chris proposed a while back [1] that the RM is
selected by majority PMC approval. He never proposed a vote to adopt
these rules, but if we did, would they be invalid, ie according to
other rules established at Apache?  Ie does this project have the
ability to establish it's own rules/norms w/o you telling us how our
project works?

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E

> No RM has the final say on anything other than their own work.

The release policy - "Regarding what makes it into a release, the RM
is the unquestioned authority"  - seems to indicate "the RM" has final
say about what makes it into a release. This implies that either the
release is just the RM's work (vs the work of the community) or in
fact the RM is not the unquestioned authority on a release.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> The release manager - not the developers - are responsible for and
>> have the final say as to what patches get merge to their branch.
>
> That is simply false.  At no time is any individual responsible for
> any part of Apache subversion, no matter how obscure the branch.
> No RM has the final say on anything other than their own work.

It seems hard for an RM to be the final authority of what makes it
into a release w/o also being the final authority on what patches get
merged into the branch they're trying to drive a release from.

Thanks,
Eli

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Rottinghuis, Joep
<jr...@ebay.com> wrote:

> [...]

Check out the MR jiras in the branch-20-security change log. There's a
ton of performance, feature and stability work. 22 doesn't have most
of this.

Posted by "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jr...@ebay.com>.

> MR1 is being maintained on 20x. In fact 20x is the only MR1 code that supports security and disk failure handling. The MR1 code in 22 is a regression in some significant aspects (features, performance, bugs) from the latest stable MR1 (204).

Eli, aside from the disk failure handling which is a new feature in 205 (not present in earlier 20x releases), could you please elaborate on which other significant aspects 22 would regress from 20x?

> My understanding of the way Apache operates is that you can't do things like "declare blocks on upgrade paths". People can try to release updates to 21 or 22 (or some new tree). Ie the decisions are made implicitly by where people invest cycles.

If a group of committers say that they'll commit to trunk, to 0.23 and to 0.20x, but not to 0.22, then in effect that is like to "declare a block on upgrade path" isn't it? The more such commits that go in to other branches, but not the ones in between essentially is a declaration of a block, because of the very regression argument you make.

I agree that nobody can be made to contribute to something they don't want, but does that result into a split?
In other words, if a significant bug fix or feature goes into trunk and into 22, can developers then simply say: "I'm not interested to put this into 23, you do this yourself if you want?". Will that be tolerated or vetoed?

Thanks,

Joep

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 07/09/11 10:04, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>>
>> Eric,
>>
>> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
>> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
>> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
>> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
>> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
>> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
>> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
>> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
>> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
>> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
>>
>> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
>> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
>> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
>> get it stabilized in near future.
>
> this is interesting.
>
> 1. I've been doing some 0.20.x work and hitting bugs that I know have been
> fixed in trunk a while ago but never backported as they were things that
> weren't critical enough to the people using the 20.x branches (i.e problems
> related to my home network, issues w/ embedding the JARs, etc).
>
> This is why I have to disagree with eric14's "age is irrelevant" claim. The
> APIs show their age, so do other quirks. It's just a known set of quirks
> -like WindowsXP is today.
>
> 2. 0.23 will take a while to stabilise; a big barrier is that projects on
> top of hadoop need to test it. Bigtop can help here, but it will still take
> time.
>
> 3. Where is all maintenance of MR 1.0 code going to go? It can't go in trunk
> or 0.23, as that's on MR2.x. Should all changes to MR1.0 be backported to
> 0.20.x, and new stuff put in there?

MR1 is being maintained on 20x. In fact 20x is the only MR1 code that
supports security and disk failure handling. The MR1 code in 22 is a
regression in some significant aspects (features, performance, bugs)
from the latest stable MR1 (204).

You might find this discussion relevant:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-mapreduce-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCAPn_vTsdiiqfCB2G0HfsOr3W_4PKoocPcTf2VB93Y3MZrzRczQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Konstantine,

I've never advocated 21 or 22 since I've never been able to volunteer
help to work on them.

I think it's great if you want to run another branch, do testing etc.
But given that it's neither complete, stable nor the latest majority
supported project I think the expectation should be that the RM /
community behind 22 should take responsibility for backporting
whatever patches they care about from trunk or 23.

(just like 0.20.20*)

Also just like 20 the age is irrelevant, what maters is what folks are
volunteering to work on. I support you volunteering to do whatever
interests you. I'm marshaling help for 20 & 23 because these seem like
the best ways to address the needs of the widest community IMO.

Cheers,
---
E14 - typing on glass

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 12/09/11 05:52, Nigel Daley wrote:
>> Nigel,
>>
>> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
>> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
>> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Konstantin
>
> [catching up on the week's email]
>
> Konstantin, you are free to carry on this 0.22 work and call a release vote if you wish.
>
> To me it is becoming clearer every week that 0.22 continues to regress in significant ways from 0.20.20x releases which will cause further confusion in our user base.  Thus I will no longer manage a release from the 0.22 branch.  When 0.20.200 was proposed, I thought this would be the only such release and regressions to 0.22 would be manageable.  This is no longer the case now that there have been many 0.20.20x releases with significant changes and committers have not been merging these changes to intervening branches as was once common practice.
>
> At the current time, I believe the most value that we (the developer community) have derived from 0.22 was finding/fixing issues throughout the spring timeframe that also existed on trunk.  Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided fixes.  Trunk, and thus 0.23, are better for it.

Well, if that's the case I'm going to start pushing some existing and
new stuff into 0.20.x

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
> Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided fixes.

This is one of the three reasons I think 0.22 release is important.
1. A lot of community work has been put into the branch. Developers
were developing, committers were committing, and I heard many
enthusiastic people participated in hackathons. It would be such a
waste.
2. We do not have an Apache release supporting HBase. 0.20.205 is
contemplated to be one. But it will not allow mixed workload. Same as
with other append-based Hadoop versions people will have to use
dedicated HBase clusters separate from "general purpose" clusters.
0.22 is a better choice in this respect.
3. Timing. With 0.23 being de facto a rewrite of Hadoop - both of MR
and HDFS - its stabilization may take longer than anticipated. I
believe 0.22 can be released fairly soon.

I was pleased with recent testing of the 0.22 branch. I plan to set up
a 100-node cluster to test the build with other Hadoop components next
week.

I will very much appreciate any help from the community as I don't
have an army to marshal.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 02:04AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Eric,
>
> It would take the same amount of resources to fix 0.22 as to merge
> append and security branches aka 0.20.205.
> Although I understand that Hortonworks needs to support its
> customer(s) and is eager to bridge the gap in functionality with its
> competitor(s), I think continuing with 0.20
> a-three-years-old-technology is not the best place to invest
> resources. In the past you advocated for 0.21 and 0.22, both now
> abandoned by your team(s) in favor of enhancing 0.20. It will be sad
> to see this backward/forward porting going on forever, diverging the
> Apache Hadoop project from natural evolutionary process.
>
> I think 0.22 has all the functionality required to run Hadoop for most
> production tasks. I see enough momentum and involvement in the
> community with 0.22 testing. I think there will be enough resources to
> get it stabilized in near future.
>
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.

I think this is a grand idea! 0.22 is very close to the stable state. On the
other hand there's no indication of how soon the community can expect to get
0.23 out.

I will be happy to offer any help to complete 0.22, Konstantin!

Cos

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Sep 6, 2011, at 2:08 PM, <Mi...@emc.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in hearing what the community thinks about this
> issue. I believe what happens here has long-term consequences.
>
> AKAIK, the bylaws do not mention anything about "abandoning release". If
> past is any indication, even if releases 0.19.*, and 0.21.* were not
> adopted by large hadoop installations, these releases were cut, voted on,
> and approved. Not "abandoned".
>
> I am -1 (non-binding) on abandoning 0.22.

I would note that folks will use the latest release if it has features they want.  I know of about 8PB of HDFS deployments that used 0.19.  Bugs were found, bugs were squashed, patches were committed.

It would be nice to not waste the 0.22 effort, even if we call it a "development release" in the end.

Brian

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
I am very interested in hearing what the community thinks about this
issue. I believe what happens here has long-term consequences.

AKAIK, the bylaws do not mention anything about "abandoning release". If
past is any indication, even if releases 0.19.*, and 0.21.* were not
adopted by large hadoop installations, these releases were cut, voted on,
and approved. Not "abandoned".

I am -1 (non-binding) on abandoning 0.22.

- Milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)