Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Frank Conradie <fr...@opticode.co.za> on 2000/08/30 20:15:19 UTC

[REQUEST] XML compliance

Hi Jason, et al.

We use Webmacro extensively with XML, and came across some annoying bugs
that essentially made it XML-unfriendly (including WML). One of these was
the fact that WM added some newline characters to the top of a parsed
template - in an XML document, if you use the XML declaration, it HAS to be
the VERY FIRST thing in the document.

I'm sure your parser does not suffer from this, but what I am trying to say
(or ask for ;-) is that you please keep XML compliance in mind. XML will
become bigger and bigger and I predict that it will eventually end up being
Velocity's "most-used" scenario. It could be the XML templating system of
choice, and not just in web-related stuff - I know it'll be mine!

Anyway, my partner Leon will test for this and other XML issues, and contrib
a lot I'm sure, but I just wanted to make you all aware of the XML thingy...

Greetings, Frank

Re: WM Introspection engine!

Posted by Sean Legassick <se...@somacity.com>.
On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 04:38:30PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I've figured out the WM introspection engine! I've made
> a tiny trivial example and I committed it (IntroTest.java).
>
> So now I'm going to try and massage the parser to feed
> the WM introspection engine values it likes. I'll
> be done in a couple of hours!

One thing I wanted from the WM introspection engine was the ability to
(at least as a configuration option) have it operate case-insensitively.
The trouble with case sensitivity and HTML designers is that as HTML is
case-insensitive I have trouble getting them to get their heads around
having the case be correct.

There is a problem with this when the introspection engine is turning
$obj.Blah into obj.getValue("Blah") but for reflection of methods/fields
it could work fine.

What do other people think about this issue?

Should I just shut up and hit my designers more?!

--
Sean Legassick
sean@somacity.com

WM Introspection engine!

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.
Hey!

I've figured out the WM introspection engine! I've made
a tiny trivial example and I committed it (IntroTest.java).

So now I'm going to try and massage the parser to feed
the WM introspection engine values it likes. I'll
be done in a couple of hours!

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: [REQUEST] XML compliance

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 8/30/2000 12:08 PM, "Tomasz Skutnik" <sc...@e-point.pl> wrote:

> This matter has already hunted me...
> XML conformance REQUIRES xml declaration to be the FIRST thing in xml
> document, and when they said it - it should BE FIRST - no
> whitespaces/newlines/whatsoever. I had to postprocess WM output to make
> it usable in WML applications. Full control over whitespacing/newlining
> should an be important issue in Velocity, I think.
>
> Scooter.

Ok dude. I hear you and I already said that I agree. I'm not sure why you
are continuing on this...

-jon

--
http://scarab.tigris.org/    | http://noodle.tigris.org/