Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2009/06/22 08:50:01 UTC

FYI, Large-scale graph computing at Google

http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2009/06/large-scale-graph-computing-at-google.html
-- It sounds like Pregel seems, a computing framework based on dynamic
programming for the graph operations. I guess maybe they removed the
file communications/intermediate files during iterations.

Anyway, What do you think?
edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: FYI, Large-scale graph computing at Google

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I would find that very interesting as well.

MR graph processing is fine for algorithms that scale in number of MR
iterations as the diameter of the graph if they are applied to small
diameter very large graphs (such as the small world graphs we all see).
Various tricks like keeping first and second order links and duplicating
nodes can cut the constants, but not change the basic asymptotic costs.

I agree that it isn't clear whether pregel is a layer over map-reduce or an
entirely new paradigm.  It would be interesting to know that.  It would also
be interesting to hear how people are attacking the problem of graph
algorithms on large scale clusters, even in advance of getting results.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Patterson, Josh wrote:
> Steve,
> I'm a little lost here; Is this a replacement for M/R or is it some new
> code that sits ontop of M/R that runs an iteration over some sort of
> graph's vertexes? My quick scan of Google's article didn't seem to yeild
> a distinction. Either way, I'd say for our data that a graph processing
> lib for M/R would be interesting.

I'm thinking of graph algorithms that get implemented as MR jobs; work
with HDFS, HBase, etc.

RE: FYI, Large-scale graph computing at Google

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Oh. Thanks. I just realized my typing mistake, I meant Hamburg.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Delip Rao wrote:
> We've had some success in dealing with locality problems using the adjacency
> list
> representation. This could be serialized using frameworks like Thrift
> or Protocol Buffers.
> For details, please see:
> http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/~delip/nocrawl/textgraphs09.pdf
>
> I intend to
> continue this line of work and will be very happy to be of any help.

This is a interesting paper. We need to start a wiki page on papers
(pause)

OK, http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Papers

I've thinking recently about how Apache could work better with the
various people doing research on or near Hadoop, you might have some
opinions there. I'm thinking of
  * mailing list for people doing researchy stuff
  * offering research groups somewhere on SVN
  * offering help to get you integrating with the apache development
processes, with the goal being to make it easier for your research to
get back in to the codebase.

This is separate from offering cluster-time on any of the datacentres
out there, that's something you need to work with the various providers
for, though apache may be able to help there whenever it knows useful
contacts

I'm off on holiday/vacation shortly, but this is something I'd like to
follow up on when I get back

-steve

Re: FYI, Large-scale graph computing at Google

Posted by Ankur Goel <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Cool stuff! In my past experience dealing with user-click histories I have tried to model out the clicked-items as a large connected graph. The strength of the connection between any two items is determined by the number of times they co-occurred across all user's click histories.

The idea is simple and works quite well when processing large datasets on a medium sized cluster. I also have a patch uploaded to Mahout http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-103 though I haven't had enough time to get it into a commitable shape.

Regards
-Ankur

Posted by Delip Rao <de...@gmail.com>.
@Ed, the paper is still available at
http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/~delip/nocrawl/textgraphs09.pdf<http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/%7Edelip/nocrawl/textgraphs09.pdf>
(Looks like you accessed when our server closet had a brief power outage)

@Michal, as Ted suggests this is easy to implement if you run several
iterations. Please look for the algorithm "Label Propagation" in the above
paper for something very close to your needs.

- delip

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Michal,

Can you say why it is difficult?

Is it because you have to run many map-reduce iterations?

If you allow many iterations, it seems like a fairly simple map reduce
program for each iteration:

map:  {emit current state keyed by current node, emit activations to
neighbors}
combine: {pass current state unchanged, accumulate activations}
reduce: {accumulate activations}

Clearly, I don't understand something about what you are doing since this
seems pretty simple.

Is it just the number of times this has to run that is the problem?

Posted by Michal Laclavik <la...@savba.sk>.

--
S pozdravom
Michal Laclavik

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by Delip Rao <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
mike anderson wrote:
> This would be really useful for my current projects. I'd be more than happy
> to help out if needed.

well the first bit of code to play with then is this

http://smartfrog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smartfrog/trunk/core/extras/citerank/

the standalone.xml file is the one you want to build and run with, the
other would require you to check out and build two levels up, but gives
you the ability to bring up local or remote clusters to test. Call
run-local to run it locally., which should give you some stats like this:

      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool: Counters: 11
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:   File Systems
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Local
bytes read=209445683448
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Local
bytes written=173943642259
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:   Map-Reduce
Framework
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Reduce
input groups=9985124
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Combine
output records=34
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Map input
records=24383448
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Reduce
output records=16494967
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Map
output bytes=1243216870
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Map input
bytes=1528854187
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Combine
input records=4528655
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Map
output records=41958636
      [java] 09/06/25 17:09:22 INFO citerank.CiteRankTool:     Reduce
input records=37430015

Exiting project "citerank"

BUILD SUCCESSFUL - at 25/06/09 17:09
Total time: 9 minutes 1 second

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: FYI, Large-scale graph computing at Google

Posted by mike anderson <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

edwardyoon@apache.org