Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by elec <el...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/01 20:40:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Page display problem XPSP2

I have currently discovered a problem which i cannot seem to figure
out. I have a linux box set up properly to utilize .htaccess auth.
this also have a number of vhosts, etc... .htaccess auth is set up on
one vhost. apache was built from source.

Following tests performed:

1. Windows XP SP2 Interal network access, (on LAN) : Authenticate, Access fine

2. Windows XP SP2 External network access (80 forwarded):
Authenticate, "Page cannot be displayed"

3. Windows XP SP2 External network access (1to1 NAT allow all):
Authenticate, "Page  cannot be displayed"

4. Windows 2000, external network access (80 forwarded): Authenticate,
Access Fine

5. Windows 2000, external network access (1to1 NAT allow all):
Authenticate, Acces Fine

6. .htaccess auth removed.... Everything works fine.

im not sure what the hell is going on

Re: [users@httpd] Page display problem XPSP2

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.
i just did some more tests and had one xp sp2 with ie external machine
work..... i cant seem to find any settings different than machines
experiencing the problem. i did also notice the error occuring with
sp1 as well.. and again firefox is fine... and windows 2000 users...
and lan users... no external users.... external users appear to
authenticate but recieve a page cannot be displayed error, they are
reprompted for a password if it is typed incorrectly...

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys, Thanks for all the help, the problem was allocated to an
stiff ids policy at the router level, i will post the specifics later
on...thanks again for all the help in identifying the problem!

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.
nothing in error, only access, no reprompt for password, it just goes
straight to a page cannot be displayed...the only consistancies are
that with different versions of windows, some work some dont, win 2k3
server was tested and worked... ima try mac next... there are plenty
of the same logs as below..

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

[users@httpd] Page display problem Win XP SP2

Posted by Viktor Soderqvist <vi...@knoeffnet.net>.
Hi there

I'm currently using XAMPP for windows which basically is the same as
LAMPP. After setting it up as I used to, some dirs won't display (ie
index page won't load, no files whatsoever from that dir). This worked
with earlier versions of XAMPP (and thus apache) like 2.0.48.

Attatched (I attatched it because I thought that the HTTP headers might
be a little long to paste in this mail, and no, they are not viruses ;))
is HTTP headers captured along with the config for the webalizer dir -
serendipity dir doesn't need any configuration else than a .htaccess
file. The working dir is http://marinmo.dyndns.org/serendipity/ and the
non-working (there are multiple non-working dirs, I just chose one) is
http://marinmo.dyndns.org/webalizer/

Regards

Viktor

Re: [users@httpd] Page display problem XPSP2

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
elec wrote:
> things are quiet wierd with this, but surpisingly this isnt the only
> server this is happening to...  reevaluating this all i dont know if i
> can say the problem lies within sp2 directly because one computer with
> sp2 on the external network was able to access things fine.

> sure you can test it out, but if you can please email me privately for
> the information or give me your aim/msn/skype contact information

I cannot give an specific reason I would like to test it, but otherwise it
feels like shooting in the dark.

Couldn't you set up a stripped down, simple demo of this problem, and post
the URI? The best thing with mailing lists like this is that you can get
many eyes, and thus more ideas. I, for example, don't think I have access to
IE on XP/SP2, but I'm sure there are at least a few out there that does,
which can verify the problem.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Page display problem XPSP2

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.
i cannot really tell you to much about when the response occured, i
received to instances within ettercap, one containing the information
pasted, and the other being blank. and this was ran on the server

friendly error messages have been disabled and all that is shown is
'page cannot be displayed'

now remember that it definately appears that the client is
authenticating, however after the authencation, it cannot view the
page, and when authentication is turned off, everything displays
correctly. i guess what i am really confused about is that if there is
a problem on the server side, why would it be working with firefox or
older versions of windows. so if it is the authentication header,
wouldnt the problem reflect in all browsers, assuming that all of
these things apply to a certian standard.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:28:03 GMT
Server: Apache
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="Password Required"

<title>401 Authorization Required</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Authorization Required</h1>
are authorized to access the document
requested.  Either you supplied the wrong
credentials (e.g., bad password), or your
browser doesn't understand how to supply
the credentials required.</p>
<hr />
<address>Apache Server at host Port 80</address>

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Robert Andersson"

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by elec <el...@gmail.com>.