Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by xinloveminnie <xi...@qq.com> on 2010/12/07 05:51:41 UTC

How to convert MSSqlServer to Derby DataBase?

I want to use derby database for my java project.
Now I have MSSqlServer DataBase. How to convert MSSqlServer to Derby dataBase?

Thank you reading my email!

Re: How to convert MSSqlServer to Derby DataBase?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
On 12/06/2010 08:51 PM, xinloveminnie wrote:
> I want to use derby database for my java project.
> Now I have MSSqlServer DataBase. How to convert MSSqlServer to Derby dataBase?

It depends somewhat upon the size and complexity of your current
implementation, but tools such as Apache's DDLUtils can be of help.

http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/

There's also a long catalog of tools which work with Derby available
on the Derby wiki at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby perhaps
there is some other tool there which meets your need.

In general, you'll face issues such as:
- converting the database schema, which is often a place where databases differ
- migrating your data, by unloading it from your existing database and loading
it into Derby. Derby provides facilities for loading data in a variety of formats.
- converting your SQL in your application, if you used any non-standard SQL
extensions
- dealing with things such as triggers or database procedures, which generally
are non-standard and will need to be re-written.
- learning the mechanics of Derby, such as how to start/stop/operate/administer it,
and how to build and run your Derby applications.

The mailing list is a great resource; there are many experienced Derby users
who would be glad to answer more specific questions as you encounter them.

Welcome to Derby!

thanks,

bryan