Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/13 17:27:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Single version docs on Artemis

this made sense at first (at least I think it did), but now that We
will have 10 versions (and counting) of Artemis... this seems a bit
too much...

http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs.html

I was wondering if we could / should update the docs page to only
include the latest version (that is 2.0.0)... The docs are still
maintained at the git, so you can always refer to the doc of the
version you're using when you download.. or you can use links from
github.

That would also make it easier for web robots (google, etc)  to index it.

Thoughts?

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Single version docs on Artemis

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 03/13/2017 01:27 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> this made sense at first (at least I think it did), but now that We
> will have 10 versions (and counting) of Artemis... this seems a bit
> too much...
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs.html
>

> I was wondering if we could / should update the docs page to only
> include the latest version (that is 2.0.0)... The docs are still
> maintained at the git, so you can always refer to the doc of the
> version you're using when you download.. or you can use links from
> github.
>

> That would also make it easier for web robots (google, etc)  to index it.
>

> Thoughts?

While we've been a bit fuzzy in the past about what versions (how far
back) we go on supported releases it seems reasonable to me to keep docs
for the current (latest version) release and docs for one release
iteration back.  So soon'ish I'd expect that I'd find docs for 2.0.0 and
1.5.4.  I don't think you need to keep them all on the site but I'd at
least expect to see the one's for the current supported release
streams.  You could keep a few older one's if you wanted to be kind but
don't necessarily need to keep them all.  If you had supported and links
or instruction on how to get them for past releases that'd be a nice
compromise.

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121

Re: [DISCUSS] Single version docs on Artemis

Posted by nigro_franz <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1
Just reducing all the 1.x.y docs to the latest 1.x + the latest 2.0 would be
great and will help the users leaving only common uses choices simpler.
And as Clebert pointed, it will help web robots too...

Re: [DISCUSS] Single version docs on Artemis

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Like Francesco just committed a doc changed on mapped journal. Mapped
Journal is on 2.0.0 but the docs are out dated.

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
What we do for Qpid is to have a central documentation/download etc
page that links to the latest release artifacts and documentation for
each component, but then also have specific pages for each component
release that includes the artifacts and docs for each specific
release. Those are also referenced from a page of current and past
releases, which is in turn referenced elsewhere on the site. This way
there is a simple area with the current docs for the current releases,
but the site still has specific pages for earlier releases that
includes their precise docs should anyone need them. We clear out the
old release content over time, e.g 2-3 years, to keep the size of the
site in check, as the docs are still available in the actual releases
themselves, which continue to be available from the dist archive,
which the site again references.

In the case where we want to update the docs of a prior release, we
can just do that on the site if so desired, though this is very rare.
The site docs for each component+version are processed from the
original release source tag when first published, and its source
becomes independant from that point unless specifically reprocessed
over the top of. Some components do link to their docs on the site,
allowing site updates to be picked up, though they are still included
in at least source form in the original release of the component.

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.