Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by su...@wipro.com on 2011/05/30 14:57:47 UTC

Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Hi,

I am getting an error as follows

"Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space".

I am running my jsp application on a windows machine with Tomcat 7.0.8

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Sunil.

www.wipro.com

Re: Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
By the way, in addition to the details below, you may want to also indicate with what Heap
size you are running Tomcat.  I suppose that the IBM Heap analyser you are using would
tell you that.  Otherwise, if you are running Tomcat as a Windows Service, use the GUI
application (tomcat7w.exe) to examine the Java JVM options tab.

Note also that running out of Heap space does not necessarily mean that your classes have
leaks.  It can also mean that they are just using memory to a point where your allocated
Heap space is simply not sufficient.

Starting Tomcat with a Heap of 64M and starting 1000 request threads simultaneously would
do it nicely also.

Looking at the stack trace below, I find it unlikely that the code itself in
org.apache.tomcat.util.http.FastHttpDateFormat.getCurrentDate
, by itself, would use up the Heap. However, if by the time it is called, the Heap is
already 99% full, it just might.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

> I apologise (a little bit) for my original answer

You shouldn't apologize; the OP has still not provided any useful information (just denial of responsibility), and has violated mailing list protocol by replying directly to you rather than to the list.

He's nil-for-two at this point; how many wickets do we give him?

 - Chuck

Re: Exception in thread ""http-bio-8080"-exec-9" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
You are kidding us, right ?