Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com> on 2011/11/14 13:38:56 UTC

Karaf with wrapper on 64 bit java

I recently tried to run Karaf (as a Windows service) on 64 bit java (on
Windows Server 2008). This does not seem to work properly. You get a
serious warning in wrapper's log file that you're trying to run the 32 bit
Wrapper on 64 bit java.

I looked at http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com and it seems like they do
provide 64 bit versions as well. I think it would be nice if Karaf could
provide both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version out-of-the box. Some logic
to determine which one to install is of course required. Perhaps it could
be separate features - one for the 32 bit wrapper and one for the 64 bit
wrapper.

It's becoming very common to use 64 bit java now so I think this is
important.

I assume that Karaf is using the community version of the Tanuki wrapper.
In that case it uses a GPL license. Is this really compatible with Apache's
license? What happens if we bundle Karaf (and the Tanuki wrapper) with our
applications? Does that require us to freely distribute our source code?

/Benke

Re: Karaf with wrapper on 64 bit java

Posted by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>.
Perfect,

/Bengt

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>.
Looks promising - maybe Karaf can support a 64 bit wrapper after all.

I guess long term someone need to find a more Apache license friendly
alternative to provide Wdinows services. Sounds like Apache should provide
a project for this since so many Apache projects seem to depend on the
service wrapper under Windows.

/Bengt

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Dan,