Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2015/10/16 18:47:26 UTC

ORC board report Oct 2015

My ORC report for the board. Suggestions welcome.

Report from the Apache Orc committee [Owen O'Malley]

   A high-performance columnar file format for Hadoop workloads.

## Issues:
 - Progress in separating out the Java ORC reader & writer from Hive has
gone
   slowly. The progress on HIVE-10171 is currently 19 of 24 sub-taskes done.
   Part of the problem has been a lot of conflicting activity in the ORC
code
   base from the development of LLAP. The LLAP branch has merged, which
should
   slow down the churn on the code base.
 - The project needs to make a release soon to start developing the
community.
   The release is blocked by getting the Java code out of Hive.

## Activity:
 - The Java ORC reader & writer, which are still in Hive, had 142 commits
   in the last 3 months.
 - The C++ ORC reader has only had 2 commits.

## Health report:
 - The activity is low. There are users asking for the Java release, which
we
   are working on.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 5 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Prasanth Jayachandran at Tue Apr 21 2015

## LDAP changes:

 - Currently 12 committers and 5 committee group members.
 - No new changes to the committee group or committership since last report.

## Releases:

 - No releases yet.

## Mailing list activity:

 - dev@orc.apache.org:

 - user@orc.apache.org:

 - issues@orc.apache.org:

## JIRA activity:

Re: ORC board report Oct 2015

Posted by Aliaksei Sandryhaila <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Owen

I see 6 resolved jiras for C++ ORC reader in the last 3 months; 5 of
them resulted in a commit. So, shouldn't the Activity section say "5
commits" rather than "2 commits" for the C++ reader?

Thank you,
Aliaksei.

Re: ORC board report Oct 2015

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Should you also mention the creation of ORC bylaws in August?

-- Lefty

Re: ORC board report Oct 2015

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1