Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by in...@klawitter.de on 2024/03/18 15:16:25 UTC

problems with partitioned cookies

Hi there,

I have to make my webapp complying to CHIPS. For this I am
trying to configure the CookieProcessor to allow partitioned cookies.

For this I added a CookieProcessor directive to the context.xml
like this:

<CookieProcessor
    className="org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Rfc6265CookieProcessor"
    partitioned="true"
    sameSiteCookies="none"
/>

However tomcat complains about this with
[Catalina-utility-1] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin Match [Context/CookieProcessor] failed to set property [partitioned] to [true]

What am I doing wrong here? (Tomcat 9.0.82)

Regards,

  Holger

Re: problems with partitioned cookies

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Holger,

On 3/19/24 04:46, info.asf@klawitter.de wrote:
> dang! I missed that while checking the changelog.
> Thanks for pointing out.

I'm curious about CHIPS. It's still considered experimental and,
honestly, every web browser on the planet is poised to use the
equivalent of "partitioned cookies" for every site, everywhere,
regardless of the "partitioned" flag on a Set-Cookie header.

Why do you have to bother modifying your application? It seems to be
that CHIPS will die on the vine and will never become an official standard.

In fact, it looks like it has already died:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cutler-httpbis-partitioned-cookies/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cutler-httpbis-partitioned-cookies
[ "About This Document" -> "Latest Revision of this draft" -> 404 ]

Nobody has touched the spec on GitHub in 2 years:
https://github.com/explainers-by-googlers/CHIPS-spec

... though this documentation has been updated as recently as 5 months
ago: https://github.com/privacycg/CHIPS

-chris

> Mark Thomas wrote (at 2024-03-18 17:03 +0000):
>> On 18/03/2024 15:16, info.asf@klawitter.de wrote:
>>
>>> What am I doing wrong here? (Tomcat 9.0.82)
>>
>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/changelog.html
>>
>> Search for "partitioned"
>>
>> The problem is you are using Tomcat 9.0.82. Support for a default
>> partitioned attribute wasn't added until 9.0.85.
>>
>> Mark

Re: problems with partitioned cookies

Posted by in...@klawitter.de.
Hi Mark,