Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Graf <to...@cfl.lu> on 2001/12/06 10:11:14 UTC

Certificate problem with Netscape 4.7 and IE >5.0

Dear all,

I've got lots of problems with Tomcat 4.0.1. and my digital server certificate.

The following describes shortly the steps I've done so far:

First of all, I generated a self-signed certificate as described in the
Tomcat documentation. Then, I created a Certificate Signing Request that I
sent to the GlobalSign certificate authority. In return, I received my
digital server certificate (in .pem format) and replaced the self-signed
certificate with the new one (with keytool under Solaris 2.6).

So far so good.

When I start Internet Explorer, it shows the yellow padlock but the
encrypted page doesn't appear and a double click on the padlock says "This
type of document does not have a security certificate".
The Netscape 4.7 message is even worse, it says "Netscape and this server
cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms".

Can anybody on this list tell me what the problem is? What am I doing wrong?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. Kind regards,

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
Chemins de fer luxembourgeois
9, place de la gare
L-1616 Luxembourg

Tom GRAF
Webmaster
E-mail: webmaster@cfl.lu
Internet: http://www.cfl.lu
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Re: Certificate problem with Netscape 4.7 and IE >5.0

Posted by Bernhard Wraase <bw...@netkosmos.de>.
Tom,

I have also trouble to generate a proper .keystore file.
I couldn't make it with keytool(win/IBM).
Try:
http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm
This works for me.
--
HTH Bernhard Wraase
NET.KOSMOS Projektentwicklung und Management GmbH