Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Piavlo <lo...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/25 11:46:57 UTC

smart client proxy for cassandra

  Hi,

Is there any smart client proxy implementation for cassandra?
I'd like to proxy short lived phpcassa connections through a smart proxy
that will manage a pool of connections and be aware of current cluster
state, bad/slow nodes etc...
The java php libraries https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops and
https://github.com/Netflix/astyanax looks like good choices.
But since I'm not a java programmer I'd first check if someone already
have done this or if someone could give guidelines on how to extend one
of the above java clients to also proxy thrift connections.

Thanks
Alex

Re: smart client proxy for cassandra

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
I've heard of people using HA Proxy  http://haproxy.1wt.eu/ with php as a connection pool.

Note that detecting failure in Cassandra can only be done as part of a request. So HA Proxy cannot understand if a node is actually functional, only that it allows a socket to be opened.

There is some work being done on creating a proxy server with Hector https://github.com/rantav/hector/tree/lcp-first-cut Not sure on it's progress.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer