Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> on 2014/12/10 19:56:19 UTC

Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

hi all

We are trying out solr 4.10.2 (as an upgrade from 4.0) and are seeing an odd
issue.

When Solr starts up it finds the core ("coreA") where we put it (we see
"Found core coreA" in the solr console) but we see "No cores available" when
we go to the solr dashboard.

I also noticed that the index folder is not being created

I have made sure that the files/folders permissions are correct (ie readable
and writeable)

Note that we are testing under Windows 7, and that the sample solr in 4.10.2
runs fine (with the same folder structure, etc tho with the default schema
and solrconfig.xml).  I have run thru the solrconfig.xml several times and
don't see anything that should cause this issue (our test solrconfig.xml has
some specific config values that we need for out tests, such as mergeFactor
and no soft/auto commits)

Does this sound like a 4.10.2 issue or ???   Let me know what additional
info would help

Any help appreciated.

// here is a dump of what I see in the console
C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master>java -Xmx8096m -Xms8096m
-Djetty.port=8086 -Dsolr.solr.home=solr -jar start.jar
0    [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server  û jetty-8.1.10.v20130312
17   [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.deploy.providers.ScanningAppProvider  û
Deployment monitor C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\contexts at
interval 0
22   [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.deploy.DeploymentManager  û Deployable
added: C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\contexts\solr-jetty-context.xml
1014 [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.StandardDescriptorProcessor  û NO
JSP Support for /solr, did not find org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet
1060 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter  û
SolrDispatchFilter.init()
1071 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader  û JNDI not
configured for solr (NoInitialContextEx)
1071 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader  û using system
property solr.solr.home: solr
1071 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader  û new
SolrResourceLoader for directory: 'solr\'
1166 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.ConfigSolr  û Loading container
configuration from C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr\solr.xml
1221 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoresLocator  û Config-defined core
root directory: C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr
1226 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer  û New CoreContainer
530293181
1227 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer  û Loading cores into
CoreContainer [instanceDir=solr\]
1236 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting socketTimeout to: 0
1237 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting urlScheme to: null
1240 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting connTimeout to: 0
1240 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting maxConnectionsPerHost to: 20
1241 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting corePoolSize to: 0
1242 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting maximumPoolSize to: 2147483647
1242 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting maxThreadIdleTime to: 5
1242 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting sizeOfQueue to: -1
1242 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory
û Setting fairnessPolicy to: false
1412 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.update.UpdateShardHandler  û Creating
UpdateShardHandler HTTP client with params:
socketTimeout=0&connTimeout=0&retry=false
1413 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.logging.LogWatcher  û SLF4J impl is
org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory
1414 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.logging.LogWatcher  û Registering Log
Listener [Log4j (org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory)]
1415 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer  û Host Name:
1443 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoresLocator  û Looking for core
definitions underneath C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr
1449 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoresLocator  û Found core coreA in
C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr\coreA\
1450 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.CoresLocator  û Found 1 core
definitions
1451 [coreLoadExecutor-5-thread-1] INFO
org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader  û new SolrResourceLoader for
directory: 'C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr\coreA\'
1559 [coreLoadExecutor-5-thread-1] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig  û
Using Lucene MatchVersion: 4.10.2
1633 [coreLoadExecutor-5-thread-1] INFO  org.apache.solr.core.Config  û
Loaded SolrConfig: solrconfig.xml
1638 [coreLoadExecutor-5-thread-1] INFO  org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema
û Reading Solr Schema from
C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master\solr\coreA\conf\schema.xml
1700 [coreLoadExecutor-5-thread-1] INFO  org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema
û [coreA] Schema name=Helios
1863 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter  û
user.dir=C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master
1864 [main] INFO  org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter  û
SolrDispatchFilter.init() done
1885 [main] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector  û Started
SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8086
9895 [qtp618640318-19] INFO  org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter  û
[admin] webapp=null path=/admin/cores
params={indexInfo=false&_=1418236560709&wt=json} status=0 QTime=17

9931 [qtp618640318-19] INFO  org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter  û
[admin] webapp=null path=/admin/info/system params={_=1418236560885&wt=json}
status=0 QTime=2

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: can you please include the *exact* solrconfig.xml & schema.xml you are
: using for coreA ... you've given us an overview of what you changed, but
: that's not enough for anyone to actally try and reproduce your problem.

if it helps (since hte list doesn't allow attachments) feel free to open a
bug in jira, and attach a zip file of your entire solr home dir showing
hte problem.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: coreA (which has our modified schema and solrconfig) is found by solr but is
: not shown in the solr admin page:

can you please include the *exact* solrconfig.xml & schema.xml you are
using for coreA ... you've given us an overview of what you changed, but
that's not enough for anyone to actally try and reproduce your problem.

if we can't reproduce it, it's impossible to diagnose it and offer
suggestions/workarround/fix...

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a bug report. Can you be very specific on what the broken
definition looked like. To replicate.

Regards,
    Alex

Posted by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi>.
Do you have the jts libraries (e.g. jts-1.13.jar) in Solr's classpath
(quoting from https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrAdaptersForLuceneSpatial4
"it needs to be in WEB-INF/lib in Solr's war file, basically")?

--Ere

13.12.2014, 1.54, solr-user kirjoitti:
> I did find out the cause of my problems.  Turns out the problem wasn't due to
> the solrconfig.xml file; it was in the schema.xml file
>
> I spent a fair bit of time making my solrconfig closer to the default
> solrconfig.xml in the solr download; when that didnt get rid of the error I
> went back to the only other file we had that was different
>
> Turns out the line that was causing the problem was the middle line in this
> location_rpt fieldtype definition:
>
>      <fieldType name="location_rpt"
> class="solr.SpatialRecursivePrefixTreeFieldType"
>
> spatialContextFactory="com.spatial4j.core.context.jts.JtsSpatialContextFactory"
>        geo="true" distErrPct="0.025" maxDistErr="0.000009" units="degrees" />
>
> The spatialContextFactory line caused the core to not load even tho no
> error/warning messages were shown.
>
> I missed that extra line somehow; mea culpa.
>
> Anyhow, I really appreciate the responses/help I got on this issue.  many
> thanks

Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
interesting.  unfortunately, time to take a break and so will have to deal
with this in the new year tho.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the time and effort you guys put in
answering all of our questions.  It is much appreciated.

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

This sounds a lot like...

: Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 16:54:03 -0700 (MST)
: From: solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>
: To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in
:     dashboard page
:
[...]
: --
: Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@safaribooksonline.com>.
Have you rebooted the machine? (last refuge of the clueless, but often
works) ...

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
Chris, will get the schema and solrconfig ready for uploading.

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
And the XML is valid, lib references in solrconfig.xml point to the
right libraries (if any), you don't have duplicate definitions of
types, you don't have missing definitions of types? And you didn't
disable the admin handler?

And it's not just admin that's failing to find the core, right? If you
use command line to ping it for a basic search, do you get anything?

I am really grasping at the straws here. You seem to be very organized
with that and any errors (for the stuff I mentioned above) SHOULD be
clear and visible. I'd start bisecting the problem:
1) Admin and/or command-line problem
2) Is filesystem monitoring during the start (
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 ) shows any
unexpected filesystem access
3) Can you cut your changes in half (e.g. not remove anything) and
still see the problem

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. When you do figure it out, let us know. Just for the future
troubleshooting generations.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart
Solr popularizers community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6713853

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
my apologies for the lack of clarity

our internal name for the project to upgrade solr from 4.0 to 4.10.2 is
"helios" and so we named our test folder "heliosearch".  I was not even
aware of the github project Heliosearch, and nothing we are doing is related
to it.

to simplify things for this post, we simplified things so that we have one
solr instance but two cores;  coreX contains the collection1 files/folders
as per the downloaded solr 4.10.2 package, while coreA uses the same
collection1 files/folders but with schema.xml and solrconfig.xml changes to
meet our needs

so file and foldername-wise, here is what we did:

1. C:\SOLR\solr-4.10.2.zip\solr-4.10.2\example renamed to
C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Master
2. renamed example\solr\collection1 to example\solr\coreX; no files modified
here
3. copied example\solr\coreX to example\solr\coreA
4. modified the coreA schema to match our current production schema; ie our
field names, etc
5. modified the coreA solrconfig.xml to meet our needs (see below)

here are the solrconfig.xml changes we made to coreA

1. <directoryFactory name="DirectoryFactory"
class="${solr.directoryFactory:solr.StandardDirectoryFactory}">
2. <mergeFactor>4</mergeFactor>
3. <reopenReaders>false</reopenReaders>
4. <infoStream>false</infoStream>
5. commented out autoCommit section
6. commented out autoSoftCommit section
7. commented out the <cache name="perSegFilter"...> section
8. <maxWarmingSearchers>4</maxWarmingSearchers>
9. <requestParsers enableRemoteStreaming="true"
multipartUploadLimitInKB="2048000" />
10. <requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler"> contains <arr
11. commented out these sections:
  <requestHandler name="/browse" class="solr.SearchHandler">
 <requestHandler name="/spell" class="solr.SearchHandler" startup="lazy">
  <requestHandler name="/suggest" class="solr.SearchHandler" startup="lazy">
 <searchComponent name="suggest" class="solr.SuggestComponent">
  <searchComponent name="tvComponent" class="solr.TermVectorComponent"/>
  <requestHandler name="/tvrh" class="solr.SearchHandler" startup="lazy">
  <searchComponent name=&quot;clustering&quot; ...
  &lt;requestHandler name=&quot;/clustering&quot;...
  &lt;searchComponent name=&quot;elevator&quot;
class=&quot;solr.QueryElevationComponent&quot; >
  <requestHandler name="/elevate" class="solr.SearchHandler" startup="lazy">
  <queryResponseWriter name="xslt" class="solr.XSLTResponseWriter">

here are the schema.xml changes we made to our copy of the downloaded solr
4.10.2 package (aside from replacing the example fields provided in the
downloaded solr 4.10.2):

1. <schema name="Helios" version="1.5">
2. removed the example fields provided in the downloaded solr 4.10.2
3. delete various types we dont use in our current schemas
4. added fieldtypes that are in our current solr 4.0 instances
5. added various fieldtypes that are in our current solr 4.0 instances
6. readded the "text" field as apparently required:    <field name="text"
type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="false" multiValued="true"/>

also note that we are using java "1.7.0_67" and jetty-8.1.10.v20130312

all in all, I dont see anything that we have done that would keep the cores
from being discovered.

hope that helps.

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: We are trying out solr 4.10.2 (as an upgrade from 4.0) and are seeing an odd
: issue.
: Note that we are testing under Windows 7, and that the sample solr in 4.10.2
: runs fine (with the same folder structure, etc tho with the default schema
: and solrconfig.xml).  I have run thru the solrconfig.xml several times and
: // here is a dump of what I see in the console
: C:\SOLR\helios-4.10.2\Instance\Master>java -Xmx8096m -Xms8096m

it's not clear what you ar comparing here ... based on the path, it looks
like the problem situation is when you are trying out heliosearch -- which
is not the same as solr.  you mentioned that the "sample solr in 4.10.2"
runs fine, but at no point do you clarify wether you *really* mean solr,
or if you, again, are actually running heliosearch.

You also haven't really provided any details about how your "coreA"
config/schema differs from the other things you tried that worked fine
(regardless of wether you are talking about solr or heliosearch)

If, ultimately, the problems you are seeing because of the helios
packaging, you should really take that up on the heliosearch mailing list.

[...]
: û Setting sizeOfQueue to: -1

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
log tab shows "No Events available"
no errors at all in the CMD console

my test version hasnt got any logging changes that are already in the
default solr 4.10.2 package

some kind of warning or error message would have been helpful...

Re: Solr 4.10.2 "Found core" but I get "No cores available" in dashboard page

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Anything on the log tab? Sometimes there are issues with loading
libraries. Then you should get bright red messages.

Ignore the ones about admin-extra though, they are not the cause.

Regards,
   Alex.

Posted by solr-user <so...@hotmail.com>.
definitely puzzling.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On 10 December 2014 at 13:56, solr-user <so...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> When Solr starts up it finds the core ("coreA") where we put it (we see
> "Found core coreA" in the solr console) but we see "No cores available" when
> we go to the solr dashboard.

Looks ok to me from a glance. Are you absolutely sure you are not
accidentally looking at a different running Solr instance? Yours is at
port 8086. You could accidentally be looking at the usual 8983 port ?

Regards,
   Alex.