Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Piers Uso Walter <Pi...@ilink.de> on 2012/03/07 00:13:11 UTC

log4j downloads are broken

To whom it may concern,

at http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/download.html, both apache-log4j-1.2.16.tar.gz and apache-log4j-1.2.16.zip that are provided for download via a mirror seem to be broken.
Instead of files of 2.7 MB and 4.4 MB, I get files of 24 kB file size.
The downloads at the main distribution directory work, so I suspect that this may be a problem with the mirror script.

With kind regards

Piers

--
Piers Uso Walter <Pi...@ilink.de>
ilink Kommunikationssysteme GmbH

Re: log4j downloads are broken

Posted by Piers Uso Walter <Pi...@ilink.de>.
Problem solved.

When it still did not seem to work for me, I took a closer look. It turns out to be more of a user error and/or browser bug than a problem with the download page:

The links to files like apache-log4j-1.2.16.tar.gz do not point to the files themselves but to an HTML page with all the mirrors. For whatever reasons, my browser does not open that page when I click the link, but downloads the HTML page into a file called apache-log4j-1.2.16.tar.gz

I am not sure why this is, seeing how the HTTP content-type header of the downloaded data is set to text/html.

I had even manually downloaded the "tar.gz" file using curl, but it never had occurred to me to look at the actual file contents when tar was not able to unpack the file :-(

Sorry for having bothered you all with this.

With kind regards

Piers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,