Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Lloyd D Budd <ll...@foolswisdom.com> on 2003/04/02 03:24:46 UTC

RedHat 9 includes subversion

I read at www.gurulabs.com/RedHatLinux0-review.html that subversion
(0.17.1) is now a package shipped by RedHat.

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Wednesday 02 April 2003 05.24, Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> I read at www.gurulabs.com/RedHatLinux0-review.html that subversion
> (0.17.1) is now a package shipped by RedHat.

SuSE 8.1 (current) have 0.14.2.
And the upcoming SuSE 8.2 (at least the Professional edition) have the
0.17.1 version. They even include cvs2svn as the package
"subversion-cvs2svn 0.17.1" (is cvs2svn as of 0.17.1 good enought?)

"Yast Online Update" are SuSE's version of Red Hat's up2date and Debian's
apt-get but usually, SuSE are only doing bugfixes and critical upgrades
for most of it's packages.

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org>.
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:13:09PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org> writes:
> > One of the nice things about Red Hat is the up2date system; in an ideal
> > world, we would be able to convince them to publish 0.20.1 as an "update"
> > to 0.17.1.
>
> Is that like Debian's "apt-get"?

Well, at the risk of starting a religious war, "Yes."

> Yes, if we could recommend 0.20.1 as an update, at least we'll have a
> ready answer (a FAQ item, even) when people encounter problems.

We'll need to do more than simply recommend it; we'll need to beg them
to package it, sign it, and place it in the "Red Hat 9 Channel", or
whatever it's called.  At least, I think that's the process; I don't
know for sure.

--ben

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi

On Thu 03-Apr-2003 at 01:00:04AM -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On 01 Apr 2003 23:13:09 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Is that like Debian's "apt-get"?
>
> up2date is an automated system for Red Hat to distribute errata
> (either security fixes or updates), much like Microsoft's Windows
> update service.
>
> As for Red Hat updating subversion, I wouldn't expect it to happen
> though you can certainly try entering a bugzilla RFE against Red
> Hat 9 (www.redhat.com/bugzilla )

I agree that RedHat will probably only release security patches for
subversion if they are needed.

The first thing I always install on a RedHat bot is apt-get:

  http://freshrpms.net/apt/

What is nice about this is that it's easy for anyone to host a
RedHat apt respository with updated packages, for example see the
list of More rpm packages here:

  http://freshrpms.net/links/

I think a respository of updated subversion and other related
packages (eg apache) would provide the easiest way of enabling
people to update from the RedHat RPM -- people would just need to
install apt and then add a couple of lines to their sources list and
then update and upgrade.

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by Gerald Henriksen <gh...@rogers.com>.
On 01 Apr 2003 23:13:09 -0600, you wrote:

>mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org> writes:
>> One of the nice things about Red Hat is the up2date system; in an ideal
>> world, we would be able to convince them to publish 0.20.1 as an "update"
>> to 0.17.1.
>
>Is that like Debian's "apt-get"?
>
>Yes, if we could recommend 0.20.1 as an update, at least we'll have a
>ready answer (a FAQ item, even) when people encounter problems.

up2date is an automated system for Red Hat to distribute errata
(either security fixes or updates), much like Microsoft's Windows
update service.

As for Red Hat updating subversion, I wouldn't expect it to happen
though you can certainly try entering a bugzilla RFE against Red Hat 9
(www.redhat.com/bugzilla )

For those unfamiliar with how Red Hat works Red Hat releases a new
version of their base Red Hat Linux product approximately every 6
months.  Thus whatever successor to Red Hat 9 is should be released
around September.

However, the key date for the next Red Hat release (and hence for
whatever version of subversion you would like to see in the next Red
Hat release) will be approximately 3 months from now when Red Hat
starts their next beta cycle.  As a general rule whatever version
appears in the beta will be the version shipped (allowing for bug
fixes) as Red Hat is very strict on not upgrading to a newer version
of a package once the beta cycle has started.

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org> writes:
> One of the nice things about Red Hat is the up2date system; in an ideal
> world, we would be able to convince them to publish 0.20.1 as an "update"
> to 0.17.1.

Is that like Debian's "apt-get"?

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@boredom.org>.
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:31:31PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@collab.net> writes:
> > > Yah.  I'm mailing someone there to see if there's any chance at all of
> > > getting a later Subversion put in before release :-).
> >
> > Too late, it's already released.
>
> It's *out*??

One of the nice things about Red Hat is the up2date system; in an ideal
world, we would be able to convince them to publish 0.20.1 as an "update"
to 0.17.1.

--ben

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@collab.net> writes:
> > Yah.  I'm mailing someone there to see if there's any chance at all of
> > getting a later Subversion put in before release :-).
>
> Too late, it's already released.

It's *out*??

That was fast.  I thought that was a review of an impending
release... (goes to reread)... Whups, yes, how right you are.

Okay, well, 0.17 is better than nothing.  Greg Stein pointed out (in
a private thread) that we should probably worry a *bit* more about
0.17 compatibility now :-).

Re: RedHat 9 includes subversion

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@collab.net>.