Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Edwards <ch...@buythetruck.com> on 2006/05/10 18:34:27 UTC

Big Idiot Needs Instructions

Hola,

I have spent two days trying to figure out how to get the following to
work.  I have set up Spamassassin and ClamAV, I am running sendmail on
the Solaris 10 platform.  I would like to be able to scan for all spam
and virus (in, out and relayed email).  Can someone please point me in
the right direction?  Do I use procmail or something else.  I set this
particular combination up years ago on a Linux box but I have had a lot
of gigo since then.

Thanks for any help

---

Chris Edwards

Re: Big Idiot Needs Instructions

Posted by aa...@barwonwater.vic.gov.au.
"jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net> wrote on 11/05/2006 06:52:06 AM:

> From: "Chris Edwards" <ch...@buythetruck.com>
>
> Hola,
>
> I have spent two days trying to figure out how to get the following to
> work.  I have set up Spamassassin and ClamAV, I am running sendmail on
> the Solaris 10 platform.  I would like to be able to scan for all spam
> and virus (in, out and relayed email).  Can someone please point me in
> the right direction?  Do I use procmail or something else.  I set this
> particular combination up years ago on a Linux box but I have had a lot
> of gigo since then.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> <<jdow>> I use procmail with great success. I also use the SpamAssassin
> ClamAV plugin. (See plugins on the wiki.)
>
> {^_^}

I run SpamAssassin via MimeDefang.

Is there anything in particular you are having problems with?

Cheers,
Aaron

Re: Big Idiot Needs Instructions

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@mightymerchant.com>.
> I have spent two days trying to figure out how to get the following to
> work.  I have set up Spamassassin and ClamAV, I am running sendmail on
> the Solaris 10 platform.  I would like to be able to scan for all spam
> and virus (in, out and relayed email).  Can someone please point me in
> the right direction?  Do I use procmail or something else.  I set this
> particular combination up years ago on a Linux box but I have had a lot
> of gigo since then.

Both SA and ClamAV can run from milters - ClamAV comes with its own, but
you'd have to Google for the SA one (or check the FAQ; I don't know if it's
listed in there). That would scan the messages before they come in the door,
and you can reject accordingly at the MTA level. You can also use procmail;
for SA you'd likely want to run spamd, then invoke spamc from procmail
(either system-wide or on a per-user basis, your call). I use this script to
pass messages to clamscan (or clamdscan) via procmail:

http://www.virtualblueness.net/~blueness/clamscan-procfilter/clamscan-procfilter.pl

You can bounce messages that were detected via procmail, but it's a bad
idea.

Re: Big Idiot Needs Instructions

Posted by Timothy Burt <sa...@timburt.com>.
I ran sendmail for a dozen years.

I finally took the plunge and switched to Postfix.  I will not go back.

I am running Postfix - amavisd-new w/ clamav and spamassassin on a Linux
box.  I used to run Solaris..  I am not 100% sure, but I cannot think why
the Postfix combo wouldn't run on Solaris.

You might consider Postfix.  It will read and utilize some of the old
sendmail config files and commands.  Not a bad transition.  Amavisd-new
runs nicely (on linux YMMV).

Timothy Burt
Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.