Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/24 17:50:45 UTC

Is there a way to do this...

I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because odt is always
such a nice smaller file size and I have all the control in the world over what
kind of font I want to use, etc.

One problem I often have is something like this...

For instance, in the following sentence:

-----
He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build cabins."
-----

There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning quotation marks. In
this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this and I'll not be able to enjoy
reading the book if I have to stop every 5 seconds to click on the spot and hit
the spacebar all the time.

I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work very well and
then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between an apostrophe and an end
quotation mark.

I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions and would
really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can do the 1000+
corrrections for me and I can get back to the occassional manual fix, heh.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on myself and get
ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the problem well enough for
someone to actually be able to help me).

  JB

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Niall Martin <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>.
There are others.  I use Textpad, and find it does what I want to do.

Best wishes

On 27 May 2012 at 13:07, Tony wrote:

Send reply to:	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Date sent:	Sun, 27 May 2012 13:07:56 +0200
Subject:	Re: Is there a way to do this...
From:	Tony <ab...@gmail.com>
To:	ooo-users@incubator.apache.org

> I often typeset books, but prefer to save them as pure text and open
> them in Vim
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_%28text_editor%29>+Solarized<https:/
> /github.com/altercation/vim-colors-solarized>before I bring them into
> OpenOffice or InDesign or whatever.
>
> Vim is the most powerful text editor on the planet, and lets me get
> rid of your type of problems with ease. It can be a bit tricky at
> first though, but learning it is well worth it - and even if you're
> dumb like me (I'm not saying you are though) - it will quickly become
> second nature. Like for your problem I'd just type:
>
> :%s/,"/, "/g
>
> and press enter. Good luck!
>
> Tony
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because
> > odt is always such a nice smaller file size and I have all the
> > control in the world over what kind of font I want to use, etc.
> >
> > One problem I often have is something like this...
> >
> > For instance, in the following sentence:
> >
> > -----
> > He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build
> > cabins." -----
> >
> > There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning
> > quotation marks. In this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this
> > and I'll not be able to enjoy reading the book if I have to stop
> > every 5 seconds to click on the spot and hit the spacebar all the
> > time.
> >
> > I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work
> > very well and then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between
> > an apostrophe and an end quotation mark.
> >
> > I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions
> > and would really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can
> > do the 1000+ corrrections for me and I can get back to the
> > occassional manual fix, heh.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on
> > myself and get ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the
> > problem well enough for someone to actually be able to help me).
> >

> >  JB

Niall Martin
Phone 0131 4678468
Please reply to: niall<at>rndmartin.cix.co.uk

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Dwayne Henderson <it...@gmail.com>.
Another vote for Vim. Afrotrap better recognize.

--Dwayne

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Scooter C <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Good Evening JB-Ima Afrotrap,

IF you know what direction you want to go in, it would be fairly simple.
Buy a book or primer..
I started in the BASIC language, but its a dead language now.
Although it gave me a starting point 40 years ago, when there was only
scientific languages that were totally out of my league or comprehension
and barely remembered now. Its like Latin, very few people know it or
can speak it.
I'm sure many on this list would have a better suggestion of where to
start, if they know where you want to go.

Take Care.
Scooter
College Park, MD USA

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>.

--
Man is a religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only
animal that has the True Religion...several of them.  -Mark Twain

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by David B Teague sr <da...@comporium.net>.
On 5/27/2012 5:21 PM, James Knott wrote:
> David B Teague sr wrote:
>> I don't know about power of Vim
> http://www.unilever.com/brands/hygieneandwelbeing/aroundthehouse/articles/cleansolutionsfromvim.aspx
> ;-)
>
> Actually, it's about what gets the job done.  Vi & Vim are on just
> about all Linux & Unix systems, whereas, as you mentioned, Emacs has
> to be specifically installed.  For quick updates to config files etc.,
> as simple editor, such as Vi(m) is all that's needed.

Yes that is a fact. Vi and Vim are small, simple, and powerful. I
learned vi specifically for when the gui didn't load. It is so much
better than ed.  But for programming and production, my personal
preference is almost any other text editor.

Note that I have not used vim. I retired from active Unix/Linux
management in 2000. I seem to recall vim was 'out there' but I didn't
use it.

I still prefer OO.o or LO to get my "today's" job done.

LOL.

DBTsr

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Dwayne Henderson <it...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by David B Teague sr <da...@comporium.net>.
On 5/27/2012 4:12 PM, James Knott wrote:
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>> Vim is the most powerful text editor on the planet
>> I'm not sure all those Emacs guys agree… :P
>
> Emacs is an editor too???   ;-)

I will tell you when I put Emacs up on our Unix systems after the
faculty had been using Vi, there was a mad rush to learn and to use it
instead of Vi.

I don't know about power of Vim, as it is a distant descendant of Vi,
and it's been far too long for any of this to have much meaning, but I
assure you, no one liked Vi.

Today I stick to the GUI OO.o and LO.

David

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Tony <ab...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/25 Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>:
> On Thursday, 24 May 2012 16:21 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2012/5/24 Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>:
>> > 2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>:
>
>  <snip>

>> > I find it odd to have a comma inside a quote, but that's maybe another
>> > story.

>  <snip>
>

>> In your example, this seems to work:
>> ☒ Regular expressions
>>
>> Search for: (.|,|:|;)("|“)([:alnum:])
>> Replace with: $1 $2$3
>>
>> Things inside parentheses are ”memorised”, so the string found in the
>> first parenthesis can be called with $1 in the Replace with field and
>> so on.
>>
>> So first I search for one of . , : ; followed by either a " or a “
>> (not a ”) followed by an alphanumeric character (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).
>> For example ."D is found. It will be replaced by the result of the
>> first pair of parentheses followed by a space followed by the two last
>> pair of parentheses, in this case . "D.
>>
>> Try it out and see if it works for you. You can always use the undo
>> button to undo a ”Replace All”, for example.
>> If it doesn't work in all cases, maybe you can try to modify it or
>> write back and tell us (or at least me…) what went wrong. I am sure
>> there is some cases that I didn't think of…
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
>  Okay, that seemed to work except that it put an extra space in front of
> anything with a comma or apostrophe, which was an easy fix in itself for the
> most part.

So there was obviously something that I didn't think about after all.
I would like to correct it, but right now I haven't got the time.
Going away over the weekend and have some things to do before that. I
am sure (almost, at least) that there is a solution that behaves
better than the one I made. Maybe someone else have a better one?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, 24 May 2012 16:21 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/5/24 Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>:
> > 2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>:

  <snip>

> >> Here are some more cut and pasted straight from the e-book examples
> >> (note also not just the comma, but it happens with a period):
> >>
> >> -----
> >> said Jonnie."Don't you follow
> >>
> >> “You can have my other four horses,”
> >
> > I find it odd to have a comma inside a quote, but that's maybe another
> > story.
> >
> >> said Jonnie to Chrissie."Don't eat them;
> >> they're trained.” He paused."Unless you get awful hungry, of course,
> >> like in the winter.”
> >>
> >> "I’ve been investigating a suspicion of conspiracy to sabotage
> >> transport,” said Terl."Kept me busy for the last three weeks.”
> >> -----
> >>
> >> I hope I'm showing everything necessary to see the problem better. If
> >> you want even more examples, just holler and I'll cut and paste  a page
> >> if it's not too big.

  <snip>

> In your example, this seems to work:
> ☒ Regular expressions
>
> Search for: (.|,|:|;)("|“)([:alnum:])
> Replace with: $1 $2$3
>
> Things inside parentheses are ”memorised”, so the string found in the
> first parenthesis can be called with $1 in the Replace with field and
> so on.
>
> So first I search for one of . , : ; followed by either a " or a “
> (not a ”) followed by an alphanumeric character (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).
> For example ."D is found. It will be replaced by the result of the
> first pair of parentheses followed by a space followed by the two last
> pair of parentheses, in this case . "D.
>
> Try it out and see if it works for you. You can always use the undo
> button to undo a ”Replace All”, for example.
> If it doesn't work in all cases, maybe you can try to modify it or
> write back and tell us (or at least me…) what went wrong. I am sure
> there is some cases that I didn't think of…
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

  Okay, that seemed to work except that it put an extra space in front of
anything with a comma or apostrophe, which was an easy fix in itself for the
most part. At least now I'll have far, far fewer of these to stop me during my

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, 27 May 2012 05:47 M Henri Day wrote:
> 2012/5/27 Doug Hovelson <do...@msn.com>
>
> > For up-to-date grammar (American style anyway) I use the Associated Press
> > Stylebook, the Chicago Manual of Style for particularly vexing questions.
> > However, Yahoo has an excellent style guide for writing on the Internet
> > that is also different from the aforementioned guides. TO me it comes
> > down to how much you value readability -- I value it a lot, being
> > someone eking out a living as a writer, publicist, journalist, etc. --
> > how much effort you're willing to put into proofreading and ultimately
> > how much you respect your reader's right to expect reasonably
> > intelligible prose from you the writer. Also of primary consideration of
> > course - how much are you being paid to produce said writing...As Elmore
> > Leonard said, "Anybody who writes and doesn't get paid for it is a fool"
> > or something like that. Say I, as I write away for nothing here...
> >
> > Doug Hovelson
> >

> > doughovelson@msn.com
> >
> >  Minneapolis > To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
> >
> > > From: glgxg@sbcglobal.net
> > > Subject: Re: Is there a way to do this...
> > > Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 17:44:59 -0700

> > > OK, you win. :-)
>
> I hold with Alec McAllister here - and with those who abhor top-posting,
> which I regard as an abomination....   [?]
>
> Henri

 +1

  JB

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

RE: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Doug Hovelson <do...@msn.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 05/25/2012 04:03 AM, Alec McAllister wrote:
> Fowler tackles this in the "Stops" section.
>
> He mentions two schools of thought, which he calls the conventional
> and the logical, with the latter punctuating according to sense, i.e.
> putting the stops outside the inverted commas except when they
> actually form part of the quotation.
>
> The former appears to be more common in the USA and the latter in the
> UK, although neither has ever been completely uniform in either
> place.
>
> I was taught to punctuate according to sense during my education in
> UK schools, during my Degree in English, during my training as an
> English teacher and throughout my career as a teacher in the UK ...
> so it has probably been completely superseded by whatever haphazard
> punctuation (or lack of it) happens to be current on this week's most
> fashionable chat-site.  :-(
>
> Alec McAllister Leeds, UK

OK, you win. :-)

RE: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Alec McAllister <t....@leeds.ac.uk>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 05/24/2012 05:04 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

/snip/
> I find it odd to have a comma inside a quote, but that's maybe another
> story.

It is standard American usage to put a comma inside, rather than outside, a
close quote.  This differs from British usage.

/snip/

--doug

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, 24 May 2012 10:55 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <af...@gmail.com>:
> > I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because odt is
> > always such a nice smaller file size and I have all the control in the
> > world over what kind of font I want to use, etc.
> >
> > One problem I often have is something like this...
> >
> > For instance, in the following sentence:
> >
> > -----
> > He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build cabins."
> > -----
> >
> > There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning quotation
> > marks.
>
> When you say ”apostrophe”, do you actually mean ”comma”? Because I
> can't see an apostrophe directly followed by a quotation mark in that
> example sentence.

  Oops! Sorry, yes, I meant comma.

> > In
> > this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this and I'll not be able to
> > enjoy reading the book if I have to stop every 5 seconds to click on the
> > spot and hit the spacebar all the time.
> >
> > I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work very
> > well and then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between an
> > apostrophe and an end quotation mark.
> >
> > I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions and
> > would really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can do the
> > 1000+ corrrections for me and I can get back to the occassional manual
> > fix, heh.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on myself
> > and get ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the problem
> > well enough for someone to actually be able to help me).
> >

> >  JB
>
> I tried your example with and without regular expressions and it
> worked easily in both cases. Can you give another example that
> contains every case where you need to add a space AND every case where
> you don't want an extra space?
> If the end quotation mark is the same character as the beginning
> quotation mark, then it will be very difficult to create a regular
> expression that is able to know which one is which. If there always is
> a space, period or a comma after the end quotation mark, I can see a
> way, though. I need to know the exact rules to create something that
> actually works in every situation that is likely to show up.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Here are some more cut and pasted straight from the e-book examples (note also
not just the comma, but it happens with a period):

-----
said Jonnie."Don't you follow

“You can have my other four horses,” said Jonnie to Chrissie."Don't eat them;

Re: Is there a way to do this...

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.