Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by taylan kuecuek <ta...@sit.fraunhofer.de> on 2006/09/27 12:04:15 UTC

tomcat plugin sysdeo

Hi everybody  ,

i have installed tomcat 5.5.17 and try to develop a web application with
servlet and jsps.

i want to use eclipse and want to use a plugin for tomcat. There is a
plugin namely "sysdeo" but i can't
download it because the is not available "www.sysdeo.com" is there any
other link where i can download it??

thanks

Re: tomcat plugin sysdeo

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
taylan kuecuek wrote:
> i have installed tomcat 5.5.17 and try to develop a web application with
> servlet and jsps.
>
> i want to use eclipse and want to use a plugin for tomcat. There is a
> plugin namely "sysdeo" but i can't
> download it because the is not available "www.sysdeo.com" is there any
> other link where i can download it??

I can't help you with sysdeo - so this is not an answer to your question.
But as an alternative you might want to consider the WTP plugin for eclipse:
http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/

Regards
  mks

Re: tomcat plugin sysdeo

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.
Tracy Nelson wrote:
> If you haven't used Eclipse before, you also might want to give NetBeans
> (www.netbeans.org) a look.  It comes with Tomcat 5.5.17 installed by
> default, all configured and ready to go.

I also use Netbeans for web development although I prefer Eclipse.
Netbeans works with Tomcat out of the box (default) and I had some
problems with Eclipse and web development.

RE: tomcat plugin sysdeo

Posted by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com>.
Feel free to ask Web Tools questions on the Web Tools newsgroup,
see http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/.  Other comments below.

Cheers,
Larry

> hallo,
>
> thanks for the antworts.
>
> after first Antwort. i have installed the WTP plugin and it
> seems good to work with servlets. but i have some problems with jsps :
>
> i make a new project --> dynamic web project
>
>  then i can add a new servlet  to this project and i can test
> it under eclipse (in this case what i must to do is only edit
> the web.xml file).
> this is really good but my question ist.
> the folder architecture is not the same as the architecture
> under tomcat. but if i make a war file from my eclipse
> project than it works under tomcat. can this directory
> differences make a problem??

No.  Assembly of the project into a webapp image occurs when you
do certain things with the project, like export it as a WAR file
or publish it to a server.

> the second question is :
> how can i add a jsp to this project???

Just create the JSP file in the WebContent folder or a subfolder
of that folder.  You can use File -> New -> Other -> Web -> JSP to
get the built-in JSP templates that are available.

> if i add a servlet, it will be placed under src folder but if
> i try to add a jsp then i must to place it under Webcontent.
> make it a problem ??? and must i edit the web.xml file for
> jsp file too???

This is not required if you access the JSP by its name.  It is
possible to create a declaration and mapping that will allow
you to access the JSP using a URL of your own design.  At least
for the portion beyond the context name of the URL.

RE: tomcat plugin sysdeo

Posted by Tracy Nelson <tn...@factsmgt.com>.
| From: taylan kuecuek [mailto:taylan.kuecuek@sit.fraunhofer.de]
|
| how can i add a jsp to this project???
|
| if i add a servlet, it will be placed under src folder but if i try to
| add a jsp then i must to place it under Webcontent. make it a problem
| ??? and must i edit the web.xml file for jsp file too???

I haven't used Eclipse recently, but ISTR that I used to use the "Web"
view, and add my JSPs under the (HTML?) folder.  This is assuming you
started by creating a Web project.  I think if you use the Create File
wizard to create the JSP, it'll take care of updating web.xml for you.

| and another question. this is not a tomcat question but maybe can
| anybody give me an answer.
|
| i want to use jsp servlet and ejb. for example with a html form i will
| take the login information from an user and then make a connection
with
| the DB and check whether this info true is or not.
| in this scenario what is for what responsible???
| should ejb with the DB communicate?    if yes how can i realize it?

Current practice is to have a Data Access Object that handles the
database access.  It's a POJO that your EJB would instantiate and use to
get the data.  If you're using EJB3 / JPA then there are probably other
approaches.  I've just started playing with JPA, so I don't know what
they are yet ;)

You might want to check out the core J2EE patterns site:
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/index.html.  Lots of
solutions to common situations.

Re: tomcat plugin sysdeo

Posted by taylan kuecuek <ta...@sit.fraunhofer.de>.