Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net> on 2001/05/13 14:17:13 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include http_config.h

gstein@apache.org writes:

> gstein      01/05/13 03:37:08
>
>   Modified:    .        configure.in
>                include  http_config.h
>   Log:
>   Implement Jeff's idea for an autoconf-defined symbol to enable the special
>   command function prototype stuff. AP_DEBUG is always set in maintainer mode
>   and AP_DEBUG_HAVE_GCC is set when the compiler is GCC.
>
>   Submitted by: Jeff Trawick

not really what I meant, but then I wasn't too specific :)

Here is what I'd prefer:

Protect the code in http_config.h with AP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER.
A "designated initializer" is the c99 feature which this code relies
on for its magic.

Unbind AP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER from AP_DEBUG.  I don't see why
this is debug-related code.

Independent of --enable-maintainer-mode, define
AP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER whenever we're using gcc.

I'll commit in a sec.  There won't be any autoconfiguration of
AP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER but that will be easy enough to add
later (and perhaps move to APR?).  I'm a little afraid of the Tru64
compiler, which will grok designated initializers but not without
complaining ("The use of a designation in an initializer list is not
yet part of an approved C standard. (designatoruse)").
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...